Join Niles North Debate

VectorShock

Do you like to argue? Do you always have something to say? Then the Niles North Debate Club is for you! Our debate club allows students to do extensive research about a specific topic, and you can be part of a great team and community. 

Joining the debate team has a plethora of benefits, you gain important skills such as learning how to do research on your own, articulate strong arguments, work both independently and in a team, and explore an innumerable range of literature on topics you didn’t even know you existed. Not to mention it looks great on college applications.

“I think debate is really good, because for one it teaches you to think critically and know what’s going on in the world. It’s a great opportunity if you are not an athlete to get really large scholarships.” The head coach of debate, Lauren Velazquez said.

Furthermore, if you’re interested in pursuing a career related to politics, and or public speaking debate is great for honing your skills. Being in debate myself I can say that it has helped me expand my vocabulary, and understand harder forms of text, not to mention you have to keep track of the latest news in the world helping you gain a new perspective through different lenses. It also guided me out of my comfort zone allowing me to speak more freely without being conscious.

“It helps with all of your classes, makes it so you know what you’re talking about, especially in history and English. You also make a ton of friends.” Junior, Will Sterbenc said.

In comparison to other schools, the Niles North debate team is quite distinctive; they frequently participate in numerous major events and do very well. But the team as a whole makes a difference; it’s one of the more diversified teams in the area and has a positive atmosphere that makes it simple to learn and succeed. There have also been new coaches added for debate, so there is now a decent student-coach ratio.

Overall, joining the debate team can help you develop strong friendships and relationships while learning various skills that can help with your career further along in the future.