Abhorrent anti-LGBTQ Colorado shooting leaves Niles North scared, furious

On the night of Nov. 19 in Colorado Springs, CO, Anderson Lee Aldrich opened fire at an LGBTQ+ nightclub, Club Q, killing five, injuring five, and wounding 17. Aldrich is currently under police jurisdiction. “[Aldrich’s] preliminary charges include five counts of first-degree murder and five counts of a bias-motivated crime – elsewhere called a hate crime – causing bodily injury, per El Paso County Court’s online docket.”

Many members of Niles North and District 219 staff were shaken by the news of the shooting. 

In an email to Niles North on Nov. 20, Principal Dr. James Edwards wrote: “These senseless acts of violence have become all too common in this country and I encourage you to write to our elected officials to ensure people can safely congregate in schools, concert halls, and other public spaces without fear of violence. Please join me in solidarity with both the Niles North LGBTQIA+ community and the families and friends of those who lost their lives last night. In addition, we should all recognize the heroism of those who saved countless lives by intervening in the attack. This incident highlights the pressing need to ensure that all members of our LGBTQIA+ community feel safe, supported, and included by everyone every day.”

District 219 Superintendent Thomas Moore also sent out an email where he briefly addressed the shooting and its connections to the school. “This weekend we saw another senseless shooting that frightens us all, but uniquely makes our LGBTQ+ family and friends wonder where they can be safe, and why so many are filled with hate towards them. It can seem that there is no progress [on sensitive social issues in District 219], and that it is not a time to be thankful. Every day that I meet with our students I know that they are ready to take on these challenges and to make our world better, but they need our help in clearing their paths.” 

North Star News sent out a survey to ask community members for their reactions and concerns. Here are a few of their responses: 

Honestly, I didn’t really have a reaction. These types of things happen so often that I’ve kinda just gotten used to it. Maybe one day, news like this won’t be so common. We aren’t trying to harm anyone, we just want to live our lives. People will continue to discriminate against us because they think we’re dangerous. We’ve had (and will continue to have) our rights taken away from us simply because of our gender identity.” Anonymous, junior.

I was heartbroken and scared [from the news of the shooting]. I lived in Colorado Springs for many years, and as names of the dead and injured are released, I fear I will recognize somebody. Colorado Springs was not a queer friendly place and I keep thinking about how intentionally the people at Q Club had to build or seek out safe spaces for themselves. How terrifying would it be to have your carefully crafted refuge violated with violence? I want our trans/queer students to know that they are a really valuable part of our school community, and that there are many allies in this building who desire to create a safe, welcoming school environment for them.” Caitlin Greener, faculty/staff.

I was, to be honest, not surprised to hear that another mass shooting has occurred, since they’re absurdly common in this country. Nevertheless, I was also saddened. This shooting is an abhorrent, despicable act. My sympathy is with all the trans folks at North and across the US who are grieving right now.” Anonymous, sophomore.

The transgender community is all of our community. Who you are is beautiful and wonderful.  You deserve to feel whole. You deserve to live in the world the way that brings you joy. We are of the same family of humans and I stand with you. Please look to those that love you to see your worth. Those that don’t reflect their own spirits. The hate they share is just the hate they have for themselves. Room 2320 will always be a place of love and acceptance if you need to be reminded that who you are is wonderful. Your place is wherever you want to be.” Susan Trzaskus, faculty/staff.

I want kids and adults in our LGBTQIA school community to know that they are loved and respected for being exactly who they are. I want kids and adults who have been taught that a god disapproves of gay and trans people to know that hate, exclusion and dehumanization are man-made and unholy. I want kids and adults in our school community to understand that trying to teach “both sides” is immoral when one side does not believe the other is human nor worthy of life.” Cynthia Fey, faculty/staff.

“…whether rarely, occasionally, or continuously, [we all] feel incongruent with our bodies, whether it be with our weights, our faces, our ages, our sexes, or our genders. We should not feel alone. This is our common humanity. We all share this together.” Molly Skelton, faculty/staff.

It’s clear that many Niles North students and staff are with the LGBTQ+ community and want these hateful acts to stop. With the commonness of hateful public shootings in the U.S., doom seems to be what awaits America’s future. People can only hope that these acts cease completely, let alone happen near or in District 219. As long as fellow students and staff stay supportive of the LGBTQ+ community and make it clear, students of the community will continue to feel safe and supported at Niles North.