Easy living: What to do with your summer

Niles North students have one amazing advantage when it comes to having activities in the summer: the prime location of the CTA Yellow Line (Skokie Swift) a mere walk away. With such easy access to the train and thus the Windy City, the simple task of finding something to do on a hot summer day becomes that much easier. Here are some items on my summer bucket list, including, but not limited to, events and places to visit in the city, that others may want to look into:

1. The Field Museum: Located on scenic Lake Shore Drive, The Field Museum is a wonderful place to spend a day in the summer if you are one that likes to have fun while learning some interesting information. During the summer, the temporary Genghis Khan exhibit, Extreme Mammals exhibit and Images of the Afterlife exhibit. These displays will only be up for a limited time so catch them while you can. The museum is open everyday during the summer from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and tickets range from $12-24 for students depending on which exhibits and IMAX movies they would like to see. Take time on your trip to actually read the signs throughout the museum instead of just glancing at cool pictures or displays because there is definitely a lot of information to take away.

2. The Shedd Aquarium: The Shedd is my personal favorite place to go, to aside from the zoo, because it makes me realize how many organisms reside in aquatic environments. This summer, the Jellies exhibit will be extended, so catch it while you can. The Aquatic Show never lets anybody down and exhibits such as Amazon Rising and Caribbean Reef are usually very popular. Be a good sibling and bring your little brothers and sisters along with you to this kid-friendly aquarium. General Admission starts at $8 per ticket.

3. Berry Picking: Southeastern Michigan is a few hours’ drive away, but the berry picking it offers is astounding and worth the time and gas money. Starting from mid-July, many small, family-owned farms open their gates to the public for berry picking. One is Makielski’s Berry Farm, where one can collect raspberries and blackberries. The Dexter Blueberry Farm is also a hot spot for blueberry picking. On top of having a fun time with family and friends and learning how to pick berries, prices are also quite reasonable.

4. Lollapalooza: Although entrance to the festival costs a pricey penny, the three-day celebration of music and relaxation is worth every second of entertainment. With headliners such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Florence + the Machine, Bassnectar and The Black Keys, the 21st annual Lollapalooza is sure to be a hit in early August. If you are not willing to dish out the dough and are willing to drive 90 miles for a similar experience, Milwaukee’s Summerfest (end of June through early July) may be more up your alley. Tickets are approximately $15 a day and headliners this year include Lupe Fiasco, Train, Brett Dennen, Fun., The Roots, Death Cab For Cutie, Young The Giant, O.A.R., Common and Atmosphere.

5. A Cubs (or White Sox) game: I’m a Cubs fan, so I suggest taking a trip down to Wrigleyville to watch a traditional game of baseball in a historic park. Nothing beats the lethargy of a summer’s day like a hot dog and peanuts while singing during the seventh inning stretch. You can find tickets online for most games, with prices at low as $25 a seat. Although chances are high that the Cubbies will not produce a “W,” the environment during a baseball game is full of spirit and relaxation.