District 219 kicks off new school year with Institute Day 2013

The District 219 faculty and staff came together to commence the new school year with their annual Institute Day.

The day began with speeches by school board president Robert Silverman, Niles Township Federation of Teachers (NTFT) president Pankaj Sharma, Niles Township Support Staff (NTSS) president Cameron Sweeney, and superintendent Nanciann Gatta.

Silverman highlighted the 5 year plan that is coming to a close this year. He noted that all the goals of the board were made possible by the cooperation of our community both inside and outside of the schools.

The first board of education meeting was held Aug. 26 at where this school year’s Annual Review of Programs (ARP) was officially published. After the meeting, community members were encouraged to voice their opinions to the board through surveys, meetings, and the principal’s town hall meeting. The ARP includes four topics:  School day structure, student and parent surveys, school based health clinics and pathways to college readiness.

Sharma, a Niles North teacher and alum, spoke on unions and their importance. He touched on the NTFT’s progress as an advocate for the underdogs – the undocumented students in our schools. But most importantly, Sharma spoke about racial equity and the social and economic opportunities of our students.

“We are not just faculty and staff members of District 219,” Sharma said. “But we are, in fact, public education activists.”

Gatta finished off the introductory session, and began with information about some new facilities in the district. “There is the observatory at West,” Gatta began. “There is the onsite day care at North, the second in the district; and finally, there is the largest capital plan that I have ever been a part of in my 19 year career here – the Niles North aquatic center.”

Gatta then changed the focus to race and equity. She spoke about how it was not a part of the five year plan, but the board realized that its goals could not be met if the race and equity issue was not dealt with accordingly. About two-thirds of the entire staff (600 people) attended meetings and workshops on racial equity.

“To be blunt, we cannot reach our goal of having every child be college and career ready without addressing race,” Gatta said.

Here is the outcome data for student achievement:

• From 2012-13, there was a 32% increase in students taking one or more AP courses.
  • The 2014 school year will show a 23% increase in students enrolled in AP courses.
  • AP World History – 101 students took the exam and 83% received a 3 or higher.
  • Honors enrollment increased district-wide by 29%.
  • Summer school enrollment increased by 21% from 2012 to 2013.
“The data is showing that all of our work in interventions and problem solving teams and RTI is working,” Gatta concluded.