Behind the scoreboard: Dawn Staley, a key pillar in the WNBA

Dawn Staley has proven many times just how impressive she is. These accomplishments have led her to have an extensive record, and leads her teams to victory
Lily Howard

As the NCAA Women’s March Madness comes to an end, the South Carolina Gamecocks have reigned victorious. After an incredible season going undefeated, the team was led to victory by head coach Dawn Staley. 

With Staley’s impressive reputation, it’s no surprise that she was able to lead her team. Not only is Staley a basketball Hall of Fame player, but she also has won three Olympic gold medals as a Team U.S. player and coached a team that went on to win an Olympic gold medal of their own. 

However, her accomplishments don’t just stop there. Staley has worked hard to build the South Carolina team from the ground up. In her first six seasons, she managed to improve their record every year. 2014 was the first year during which her team achieved the #1 ranking, making her the second individual to play on and coach a #1-ranked team. 

Rightfully so, Staley has won awards to recognize her achievements. Not only has she won three major national Coach of the Year awards, but in 2020, she also became the first person to win the Naismith award as both a coach and a player. 

With all the excitement around the players and their achievements, it’s easy to forget the person behind it all. While the players are the face of the team, coaches like Staley are on the forefront strategizing and guiding the players into victories; the effort put into leading a team and strengthening the fabric of teamwork should not be taken for granted. Throughout her entire career, Staley has proven that her name should never be forgotten. 

This year, the Gamecocks took home their eighth SEC championship title, going undefeated throughout the whole season and becoming the tenth unbeaten champion in Division 1 Women’s Basketball history. This is truly a testament to her great prowess and leadership.

Overall, it’s important to remember that coaches like Staley are the reason the teams you love can go on to dominate in the field.