Vikings Volleyball promotes team spirit, literacy at Bernie’s Book Bank

Graphic created by: Anthony Bramley

Recently, the Niles North Vikings’ volleyball team decided they wanted to make a difference outside of Niles North; in the charity realm. 

The Niles North volleyball team has had a long history of success, with an impressive record of 28-9 in the 22/23 season, but their immense success on the court wasn’t enough for them. The team is holding a book drive in association with Bernie’s Book Bank, an organization dedicated to donating books to the less fortunate so that every kid can have the opportunity to read. The organization has distributed over 26 million books since 2009; a staggering number. But it still isn’t enough. 

According to their website, two out of three children lack books in their households. That’s why the Niles North volleyball team decided to do their part and try to make a change. In a competition format against Niles West, the teams will collect books (birth through 6th grade level) from students and anyone else who wishes to donate. 

The members of the team are thrilled to be able to make a difference outside of the volleyball court. 

“I’m really excited to help families in need of books to help them stay educated,” senior Vikings volleyball player Laydon Biro said. 

The book drive started March 18, but it’s not too late to donate; in fact, the drive ends in six days on March 27. You can bring new or gently used books you no longer need to the Athletics offices or Physical Welfare offices in order to support the cause, or even just the team in their competition against Niles West. The drive is not accepting coloring, work/text books, or activity books. The team hopes their peers will make an effort to try to support them and a positive cause.