Addison Lockerby, Junior

Name and grade? Addison Lockerby, junior.

How did you first get into Track & Field? I first got introduced to track during the spring of my sophomore year: I didn’t really realize it was an option at North, but when I realized, I was really excited about learning and trying it out.

What motivates you to run Track & Field? The main things that motivate me to run track are both the long and short distance goals. Whether it’s qualifying for State or winning Conference at the end of the season, or if it’s getting a PR (personal record) or first place at a meet. Another thing that motivates me is the ability to push yourself everyday in practice. 

Aside from Track, what are some of your other interests or hobbies? In addition to track, I play soccer for Niles North as well as a club team outside of the school. I also enjoy playing tennis in the summer, spending time with friends and family, hiking, and traveling. 

Balancing academics and athletics can be challenging; how do you manage your time effectively? I try to take advantage of the little bit of time I have during the day to get my homework done. Otherwise [I] just try [to] be productive and get what I need for school after practice. 

Who inspires you the most, both in and outside of the world of Track & Field? I am a very competitive person, so the people that I play or train with or against always inspire me the most. 

What is one particularly memorable moment or experience from your time in Track & Field? One memory I will always have from track would be our outdoor meet in Urbana last year. It was my first meet with the team, and we took vans and drove the three hours to Urbana in a day to compete. It was such a fun experience and great team bonding. It was also my first ever track meet so I will always remember that. 

How do you handle setbacks or disappointments in your athletic career? A big way I handle them is reflecting on what went wrong, then I just get after it, work even harder to get better and not let that setback or disappointment happen again. 

What advice would you give to younger athletes? A main piece of advice I would give to younger athletes is to always make sure you still enjoy the sport. Don’t let it become a job for you, you should always enjoy what you do. 

Outside of sports, do you have any long-term goals or aspirations? A goal of mine is to figure out what I want to do with my life after sports. They have been such a big part of my life that a goal of mine is to try to find what else I could do besides sports. 

How do you prioritize your self-care and mental well-being, especially during intense training seasons? Sometimes it is really hard, and I am definitely not great at it, but I try to prioritize my sleep schedule, I try to take advantage of my rest days whenever I can, and just listen to how my body feels.

What role do your teammates and coaches play in your overall experience as a track athlete? The coaching staff and the people I’ve met through track play significant roles in my experience as a track athlete. The coaching staff creates a supportive environment within the team, while the individuals I’ve met have been amazing teammates, some of the best I’ve ever had.

Going into your senior year, do you aspire to continue with sports at the collegiate level? If so, do you know where and why? Yes, I do, I am currently verbally committed to play D1 college soccer at Virginia Tech! I chose Virginia Tech because of the amazing, family-like, atmosphere surrounding the sports there, competitive women’s soccer team, the campus, great academics, and many other reasons. Go Hokies!! 

If you could compete or train anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Anywhere in Europe. Specifically for soccer because the culture there surrounding that sport is just on a different level than here.