Jenna Almaraz, Spanish teacher

Image from Jenna Almaraz.
Image from Jenna Almaraz.

What is your name, what department do you work in, and what are your pronouns? My name is Jennifer Almaraz, and I work here in the World Languages Department as a Spanish teacher, and I go by she, her, and hers.

How long have you been teaching at Niles North? This is my twenty-first year in the district. I actually started way back when at Niles West, and I taught there for a couple years, and I’ve mostly been here at North since then, but I did travel a couple years as well between the schools.

Why do you think it’s a valuable skill to be able to speak Spanish? Oh, goodness. For many reasons. I would say, one, it just provides so many opportunities–travel opportunities, work opportunities. Being bilingual or multilingual is incredibly good for your brain. And I think most importantly, when you are able to speak to somebody in the language in which they are most comfortable, that it really sends a message to that person that they’re valued–that their culture is valued, that their language is valued, that you value them as a person. And I think it just helps create much deeper connection among people. It’s just so practical, too, being here in the city of Chicago, where, really, about one in every three people is a Spanish speaker. It’s just really becoming an invaluable skill to have.

You mentioned that being bilingual is good for your brain. Can you talk about that? Studies have shown that you are just able to process information better when you speak multiple languages. It allows you to think in more creative ways. Language is really linked to your thought processes and how you perceive the world, so it allows you to perceive scenarios in multiple ways.

What is your dream vacation destination? I think right now, it would probably be a small town in the south of France. I would love to spend maybe a summer. I’m trying to learn French, and I just picture myself at a fun café, talking to the local people, and eating pan au chocolat every day.

If you could have dinner with any three people, living or dead, real or fictional, who would they be? My first choice would be my mother. She left this world way too soon and I would love for her to be able to meet her grandsons. My second choice would be Anthony Bourdain.  I think we would have some incredible conversation about travel, culture, and food. My third choice would be Lady Gaga, because she’s just awesome!

Do you have any skills you’re proud of outside of your ability to speak Spanish? I think I’m a good, just, people person. I think I tend to relate well to people. I’d like to think that I’m an understanding and empathetic person. I am a pretty good ping-pong player. I’m not athletic at all, however, for some reason, I am pretty good at ping-pong. I like to dance–I’m not sure I’m a great dancer, but I’ve learned some meringue and some salsa. Sometimes, I like to, with my classes occasionally, do some dancing. Usually, I try to do it around Homecoming, to equip my students with some moves!

What is a fact about you that you think would surprise most people who know you? Maybe that I was born and raised in Morton Grove. And so, that I’m a product of District 219. I went to Niles West.

What do you think is the most important quality or personality trait that people ought to have? [Being] kind. I always say to my students, and I say to my own kids, that you never know what somebody’s going through. You should just always be kind and understanding.

Who is the most important person in your life? Can it be two [people]? I guess it would be my two boys, my kids. They’ve really changed me, and how I look at life, and I couldn’t imagine my life, now, without them. I think having kids and seeing them grow up and be their own unique person, has made me realize how important it is to let them, and really accept people for who they are, and not try to change them.

Is that something you’ve tried to work into your role as a teacher, too? Absolutely. And the older that my boys get–so, my oldest is now 11, and he’s in junior high–and it’s just interesting, seeing him go through school, and I like to think that kind of seeing his struggles and his triumphs and what is working for him in school and what is not working for him in school, is helping me to become a better teacher. It definitely changes your perspective on things. I see, sometimes, how much homework he can get, and how busy he is, and how he really does need some downtime.

What advice would you give to yourself ten years ago if you could meet her? I would say, don’t stress about the small things. Worry about the things that you can control. Don’t worry so much about the things that you can’t control. And try to live your life with a sense of perspective, and really think about what truly matters.