Headphones are meant to be used at home

Magic Media
girl wearing headphones on her phone while crossing traffic

Headphones are the devices that allow us to go into our world of music. A way to escape from reality, but headphones can also have dangerous effects.

Noise-canceling headphones are a great way to get things done. Working out, doing homework, or a way to wind down and only listen to your music and nothing else are great examples of how amazing headphones can be. They are also very safe by not sending harmful radiation to your ears. 

As great as noise-canceling headphones are, they aren’t great when walking in environments and not knowing what is going on around you. Walking with headphones is risky when going through traffic, crossing the street, or any other environment when one is not aware. About 116 deaths were reported by pedestrians wearing headphones while walking and the majority of vehicles involved were trains with 55%. 

The body has 5 senses, sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. The body reacts to what we hear and see and when we are listening to something one of those senses is impaired. Sensing and avoiding danger are the fastest and sharpest when we can identify what is going around us and when we are not distracted, but to have fast and sharp senses we need all of our senses to be active and working. Headphones impair those senses causing accidents to happen.

I didn’t know so many accidents happened while people were wearing headphones. I have realized that having headphones on distracts me but I didn’t think it was so serious.”

— Bayan Salih, senior

Bayan Salih, a senior who wears headphones everywhere did not realize how dangerous it could be to have headphones on in environments. 

“I didn’t know so many accidents happened while people were wearing headphones,” Senior Bayan Salih said. “I have realized that having headphones on distracts me but I didn’t think it was so serious.”

Headphones are great for listening to music or watching shows but they aren’t a great choice while walking outside. Being outside requires to know what is going around you and to be alert. Everyone needs to hear, see, and tell what is going on around them without any sense being impaired or distracted. The more alert you are, the less risk you put yourself in. Headphones are meant to be used in a closed environment, not when you need to be alert for your safety.