Love is in our blood! Student Council to host Valentine’s Day blood drive

Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood. All healthy donors (ages 16+) are urged to donate due to the blood shortage.

Niles North’s student council will be partnering with Vitalant and hosting a blood drive on Tuesday, Feb. 13th, the day before Valentine’s Day! Donating blood can have a massive impact on our world, far greater than you may think. 

Vitalant is a blood donation organization that Niles North’s Student Council has worked with in years past. Donating blood makes a huge impact. Every day in the U.S., patients in hospitals, surgical centers, and emergency treatment facilities need approximately 29,000 units of red blood cells. Vitalant’s team delivers your blood to where it’s needed most, through their coast-to-coast network of donation centers. 

Dana Kantor, School Psychologist donating blood in Student Council’s 2022 blood drive last year. (Student Council Instagram)

Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood. The process of donating blood is safe and fast, and you will feel amazing knowing you potentially saved up to three people.  All healthy donors (ages 16+) are urged to donate due to the blood shortage. If you are interested in donating blood, please fill out this form. Are you thinking about donating blood?

In order to donate blood, you must be:

• At least 16 years old (Students under the age of 18 must have a parental consent form signed. Consent forms can be found in the Student Activities Office.)
  • At least 110 pounds
  • In good general health

Here are some other things to remember the day you donate:

• Bring an ID
  • Eat within 2 hours ahead of your donation
  • Drink plenty of water

Donate blood; make a difference! Sign up here.