Busta Rhymes’ newest album, ‘BLOCKBUSTA’ is an underrated hit

Cover of BLOCKBUSTA courtesy of Spotify
Cover of ‘BLOCKBUSTA’ courtesy of Spotify

Released on Nov. 23 of last year, Busta Rhymes dropped his eleventh studio album, and it features a laundry list of popular rappers and producers. This album started off very strong with THE STATEMENT, a track where Busta Rhymes reminds everyone of his talent, and how he has to constantly remind people that he is “one of the greatest” and you should ‘Try me if you think you better’ in his own words. It was a very angry start, which at first, led me to believe that I wouldn’t enjoy the remainder of the album, it made me believe that the remainder of the album was going to be angry and egotistical the whole time, but the second track REMIND ‘EM proved me wrong. 

REMIND ‘EM features Quavo, who was the “leader” of hip hop group Migos, before splitting due to their creative differences. This song sounds a bit weird the first 20 seconds, it sounded very high pitched and almost cult like, but as the song continued, it became more enjoyable. Listening to the whole album, my favorite song from this album became HOMAGE ft. Kodak Black. I’ve been listening to Kodak for a while and he did an excellent job on this track. It was great to hear the difference between Kodak and Busta Rhymes’ voices, they contrast each other so well and the chemistry is definitely there. 

Overall, this album was one that I could listen to without getting bored, and it really surprised me. It is extremely underrated, I haven’t seen many people talk about it, and it definitely needs some more recognition than what it got. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys some good rap over smooth beats.