Kali Uchis new album “ORQUIDEAS” is worth the listen

Photo credits to Pitchfork
Photo credits to Pitchfork

Kali Uchis, a popular singer has officially released her new album ORQUIDEAS. This album will mark her second latin album that she has released. The album includes 14 songs with a total listening time of 44 minutes. 

Kali Uchis is a 30 year old Colombian American artist who first made her appearance back in 2012 and has slowly grown her popularity over the years. Her first true rise of fame was in 2020 after she released her first Spanish-language album Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios)

However, the release of ORQUIDEAS shows just how popular she is after reaching No. 1 on Billboard’s Top Latin Albums. In total the album has reached over 51 million streams in the time it has been out. 

In this album, Uchis explains how it’s like a dance album. Within the songs the genres range all the way from pop, house, and latin disco. The different genres were to really test her versatility as an artist, and it definitely paid off. 

Overall the songs have such a timeless feel to them. This is largely reliant upon the way Uchis’s voice, lyrics, and melody all flow together. One of the best examples of this is her song Igual Que Un Ángel (With Peso Pluma). In an interview with Forbes Uchis explains how this is “a disco-tinged track designed for vibing by the pool and is an essential component of Orquídeas’ dance music puzzle”.

Another key part of this album is the importance of the name and design of the cover. ORQUIDEAS is the Spanish word for orchid, which is the national flower of Colombia. “I always felt distinctly intrigued and magnetized by the flower. This album is inspired by the timeless, eerie, mystic, striking, graceful and sensual allure of the orchid. With this vast scope of fresh energy, I wish to redefine the way we look at Latinas in music”, Uchis said in an interview with Pitchfork. In another interview she also explains that an orchid stands fertility which made it even more meaningful after she found out she was expecting.