Anna Raiber, Hebrew/ESL Teacher

Photo credited to Anna Raiber

What is your full name and what do you teach here? My name is Anna Raiber and I teach Hebrew and ESL. (English as a Second Language)

What do you love most about your job? I love the interaction with students. I love to see my students grow with the language. I just like to share my experience and hear their experiences. 

What do you love most about Niles North?  I love the people at Niles North. I love the diversity at Niles North. I love that we can learn about each other, and understand and respect each other.

What motivates you every day? My students, I love coming to my classes and seeing my students become better in language. I love to see them getting more professional with the language and getting more mature. I have the privilege to see my students grow from freshman year to senior year as well. 

What hardships have you faced and how did you overcome them? The diversity of Niles North can sometimes be a hard thing to manage. We are trying to be connected and respectful of each other. Sometimes it’s a challenge, and I would love for us to learn to respect each other. I would love for us to come together at many different events. 

Why did you choose to become a Hebrew teacher?  I grew up in Israel. Hebrew is the language spoken in Israel. It was very close to my heart as a Jewish teacher. It is a very unique language. In Israel, I used to be a math and computer science teacher, but when I came to America, I decided to teach Hebrew, to share the beauty of this language and its culture. 

What is your favorite thing about the language of Hebrew?  I love that Hebrew is a very antique, yet modern language.  Interesting fact- if you met someone from 3000 years ago, you could communicate because the language is absolutely the same. It is a very unique language and an easy language to learn as a foreign language. Though many people think it’s hard because of a different alphabet, it’s actually a very organized and structured language. 

Who is your biggest inspiration? My grandfather. He was a teacher. He taught me many different things when I was a little girl and I decided to become a teacher because of him. 

Where’s your favorite vacation spot? The beach in Tel Aviv!

Why is Niles North’s Hebrew program unique? Niles North’s Hebrew program is unique because it is the only language program in the district that offers you a dual college credit with Loyola University. This is also a very unique program because we are the only public school in the nation that has a unique exchange program with Israel. We’re also a unique program because we were the first ones to start the National Hebrew Honors Society which many students in the program are part of. Hebrew classes are small; students know each other throughout all 4 years of high school. Spending all 4 years with the same students gives you a unique opportunity to become close friends with students in your class. It is also very helpful to have the same teacher in all of the Hebrew levels – you get to know her style, and she gets to know you as a student, and what the best ways you learn are. Hebrew classes get to go on fun field trips where they meet students who are learning Hebrew in other public schools in Chicago land.