Embracing diversity, culture can alter America’s distraught political climate

At Niles North, we are privileged to live in a community with a constant intersectionality of culture. Skokie is widely known for its diversity; over 90 languages are spoken in the homes of school-age children. Surrounding yourself with diversity and different cultures than your own is not only beneficial but crucial to creating a future of acceptance and understanding. Growing up in Skokie’s diverse community is something I will forever be thankful for. Constantly being surrounded by people of all races, ethnicities, and cultures has fostered a beautiful learning environment for me and my peers.

Many families choose to move to Skokie due to its unique quality of intersectionality. 

“Skokie has people from all over the world,” Alisa Shapiro, a parent of two Niles North alumni and one current Junior said. “We wanted our kids to grow up and play in a community that represented a microcosm of the rich diversity of the world. We wanted them to be exposed to different messages, languages, and cultures. I believe that diversity must be valued in our democracy; in our world.” 

“I believe that diversity must be valued in our democracy; in our world.” 

— Alisa Shapiro, parent of two Niles North alumni and one current Junior

Sadly, Skokie’s bubble of diversity and acceptance does not transfer to America’s current political climate. Our country is more polarized than ever. This polarization is perhaps the most harmful entity in American society. Politically, it can lead to gridlock, a condition of government in which Congress isn’t able to accomplish anything due to the widespread political disagreement. Socially, it leads to a harmful status quo of close-mindedness and strict self-isolation from beliefs that do not challenge your own. 

On Nov. 21, Republican Senator Markwayne Mullin, of Oklahoma challenged Sean O’Brien, the General President of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters to a fistfight. “You’re a United States Senator, sit down please,” Senator Bernie Sanders said, reminding Senator Mullin. The principle of an exchange such as this happening in the highest systems of government is barbaric and frankly horrifying. However, it manifests a plague more harmful than the obvious themes of toxic masculinity and egotistical pride. This flare-up showcased the refusal to simply listen to your opponent and the immediate habit of attacking in light of differing perspectives.

The political polarization seen in this scenario, as well as many others, is undoubtedly caused by a lack of exposure to cultures and opinions different than one’s status quo. When you are consistently exposed to cultures that are different than your own, you develop behaviors of not only tolerance for the other, but acceptance and understanding of their experiences, perspectives, and opinions. 

In 2022, the FBI reported that the top three bias categories in single-bias hate crimes were based on race/ethnicity/ancestry, religion, and sexual orientation. Hate Crimes based on race/ethnicity/ancestry totaled more than all other categories combined. Why is this? 

Image credited to the U.S. Department of Justice.

The entities of ignorance and fear build a sturdy foundation for hate. This isn’t a new concept, though. Racial prejudice plagues our country’s historical foundations, as seen in examples such as the forced removal of indigenous peoples and the atrocities of slavery. So how do we as a society combat the American body of the cycle of ignorance, hate, and violence, when the very blood that makes it run is infected by racism? 

To combat this sickness is to overwhelm it with health. Combatting this cycle means immersing yourself in what it is that you are ignorant of. It means reaching out across borders and fostering bridges rather than walls. 

Here at Niles North, we have countless cultural clubs. While these clubs often serve the purpose of affirming one’s cultural identity, all clubs at Niles North are open to all students of all nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Attending clubs of cultures different than your own can give insight into someone else’s human experience. While someone’s culture may be vastly different than your own, you mustn’t shy away from the importance of open-mindedness. Exposing yourself to a different culture than your own humanizes an otherwise foreign experience. 

“It’s really cool to have the opportunity to go to a cultural club like Jew Crew and to learn about parts of a culture other than my own,” Senior Ishani Amin said. Amin is a non-Jew who attends Jew Crew (Jewish Student Union). “It was interesting to see how there are so many similarities between my culture and Jewish culture, like how welcoming everyone is and how important food is. Even though I was often the only non-Jewish person there, everyone made me feel very welcome and helped me learn about Jewish culture. I also loved participating in discussions where I was able to connect parts of my culture to Jewish culture.”

“Even though I was often the only non-Jewish person there, everyone made me feel very welcome and helped me learn about Jewish culture.”

— Ishani Amin, Senior

“I’ve attended Vietnamese Club before,” senior Anna Copland said. Copland isn’t Vietnamese but has attended meetings of the club. “The activity was a competition in which you would play games to win tickets, and you would use those tickets to buy Vietnamese snacks. I wanted to try the Vietnamese snacks, but I was really bad at the games, and I didn’t win any tickets. Members let me taste the snacks anyway because they wanted to share their culture with me. It was really special.”

“They wanted to share their culture with me. It was really special.”

— Anna Copland, Senior

When you and another person have differing perspectives, yet you see them as a fellow human being rather than as the “other,” you are more likely to listen to them and engage in a mutually beneficial dialogue, rather than a congressional fistfight. This culture of not only tolerance, but acceptance and understanding is not only what America’s political climate needs, but it is what the world needs. It is up to us to actively undo our restrictive bias. We must actively seek diverse perspectives. They enrich our understanding of the world and equip us with crucial skills- understanding and kindness- that help us to navigate the world’s interconnected global society. This mindset has the opportunity to transcend boundaries and change the world.