Lewison, Maine mass shooting hits close to home for Chicago area residents

On Oct. 25, a shooting rampage occurred at a bowling alley and restaurant in Lewison, Maine, leaving 18 dead and 13 injured. The suspect, Robert Card was found dead on the evening of Oct. 27, with an apparent self-inflicted gun wound.

In mid-July, Robert Card purchased a Ruger SFAR chambered for high-powered .308 ammunition. This weapon is often utilized by the US military for long-distance shooting and is stronger than the ammunition carried in the rifles of soldiers and SWAT teams. Along with this purchase, Card also bought a 92-F 9mm semi-automatic pistol, a past standard pistol of the US military.

Authorities say the gun Card used to carry out this mass murder was bought legally and purchased just days before the suspect was hospitalized and ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Police were warned many times about Card and his concerning behavior before the massacre.

Victims of this mass shooting ranged from a 14-year-old boy bowling with his father to a 76-year-old man. On Nov. 3, President Joe Biden visited Lewison to meet with families of victims of this mass shooting

“We want to make sure you know you’re not alone,” Biden told first responders and families of those murdered. “Too many Americans have lost loved ones or have survived the trauma of gun violence.”

Victims of shooting in Lewison, Maine (NPR news)

This tragedy in Maine occurs in light of a record number of mass shootings in America this year. There have been at least 597 mass shootings in 2023 thus far. This averages out to about two mass shootings each day.

While over 1000 miles away, the tragedy that occurred in Maine is one that is eerily familiar to students at Niles North. 

“I was there at the beach in Evanston this summer when there was a shooting,” junior Annaya Delos-Santos said “Someone died. Gun violence is so normalized. It could happen anywhere to anyone.” What Delos-Santos says holds truth. Each day, 12 children die from gun violence in America, while another 32 are shot and injured. 

Last Summer, a mass shooting occurred in the Illinois suburb of Highland Park at a 4th of July parade. This shooting shocked many in the Chicago area, due to its proximity. Recently, Robert Crimo Jr., the father of the Highland Park shooter, has pleaded guilty to 7 counts of misdemeanor reckless conduct. Three years prior to the massacre in Highland Park, Crimo signed his son’s application for an Illinois Firearm Owners Identification card. 

Highland Park Strong logo (@hp.strong on Instagram)

Many believe these tragedies can be prevented through common sense gun laws. “Highland Park Strong” is an organization committed to offering information, resources, and education regarding Highland Park’s tragedy and general gun violence. To stay informed, you can follow them on Instagram, or go to their website.

View Comments (1)