Viking girls swim and dive makes a splash with two state qualifiers

After many meets with many victories, the Niles North Viking girls’ swim and dive season came to an end on Oct. 28th. Ending the season with great victories, two girls qualified for state at the IHSA girl’s swim and dive sectional.

After a great meet with cheers, laughs, and cries, state-bound Vikings, Eva Shawver placed 4th in diving, scoring 469.63, breaking her previous record. Along with Kelly Nguyen took 5th place in 100 Breaststroke with a time of 1:06.23, setting the new school record in the event. Great accomplishments from a great swimmer and a great diver, in their last year of high school.

After swimming for 9 years, Kelly Nguyen is going to her first state competition after setting a new school record.

“I’m really happy that I’ve made it to state. It’s been one of my goals for my high school career and I’m glad I was able to accomplish it. This season I focused on working hard and having fun. This season went well. I got a lot of personal records and I enjoyed the fun times I spent with my team, they’re like my second family,” senior Kelly Nguyen said.

Diving for 4 years, Eva Shawver is going to her second state competition after breaking her previous record.

“I am super excited that I get to compete at state again in my last year of high school and I’m hoping to end with a bang! This season has gone well for me. Although it felt very short, I put a lot of work into it and was able to break one of my previous records three times in a row,” Senior Eva Shawver said.

For many of the Viking girls swim and dive, this is their last season, but they pushed through and worked hard. It was a very successful season and they all did their absolute best.

View Comments (1)