North Star News takes Boston; group travel allows for new opportunities

NSN+students+visited+downtown+Boston.+
Jean Ordonez
NSN students visited downtown Boston.

On Nov. 2- 5,  the North Star News team traveled to the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) Fall 2023 convention in Boston, MA. While there, North Star journalists attended many of the hundreds of different sessions discussing the importance of journalism and various reporting skills. Educational field trips through school like this can impact students in the most positive way.

In addition to attending these workshops, seven of North Star’s journalists competed in on-site writing competitions alongside 1,500 other student journalists. These competitions were great real-world practice for writing as a journalist under pressure. Four journalists took home Honorable Mentions for their respective categories.

Although the educational aspect of this field trip was what we attended the field trip for in the first place, the time spent outside of the convention center might have been just as valuable. It’s so refreshing to be able to learn outside of the classroom. As a team, it was great to get to know each other and bond. Trips like this can not just strengthen our skills but also really build team morale. 

However, North Star is not the only class in the school that’s been able to travel. DECA went to Orlando, FL last spring for Nationals. The debate team also travels multiple times a year, going to places like Michigan, Texas, and Georgia for tournaments. 

Most recently, the Orchestra flew to New York City to attend a clinic with a Broadway conductor and the conductor of the New York Philharmonic. Students also attended Broadway plays and went sightseeing.

When you take that skill and apply it to more real-world concepts, like being with professional conductors and world-renowned ones who take time to hang out with some high schoolers, it’s an incredible experience that reevaluates how much I truly care about orchestra.

— Elyssa Heredia, junior

“For me, it kind of re-awakened my love for orchestra and how incredible it is to be someone who has a skill that not everyone else can do, who dedicates every day in the orchestra room, and some days it just feels so routine,” junior Elyssa Heredia said. “But when you take that skill and apply it to more real-world concepts, like being with professional conductors and world-renowned ones who take time to hang out with some high schoolers, it’s an incredible experience that reevaluates how much I truly care about orchestra.”

These special trips provide students with unique experiences and memories that will last a lifetime. And thanks to the Principal’s fund, the costs for some of these competitive trips are waived by 30%, courtesy of the school.

Field trips can be an amazing way for students to see how their passion has an impact on the bigger world outside of Niles North. After all, the world is the best classroom, isn’t it?

View Comments (2)