Hold onto the memories with Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (concert film)

Taylor+Swift%3A+The+Eras+Tour+concert+film+opened+on+October+13%2C+becoming+the+highest-grossing+concert+film+ever.+
NPR
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour concert film opened on October 13, becoming the highest-grossing concert film ever.

On June 4, I had the privilege of experiencing Taylor Swift’s critically acclaimed Eras Tour at Soldier Field. There was nothing like the magic from that day– trading friendship bracelets, screaming the lyrics to All Too Well (Ten Minute Verison), and dressing up with thousands of other Swifties. On Oct. 21, I had the privilege of reexperiencing that magic once again in an AMC theater, at the Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour concert film. Though it’s a totally different experience, Swift masterminded a new way to relive the memories of her show.

The Eras Tour toured 50 nights in the US leg and became the highest-grossing female tour of all time. The setlist consists of 44 songs grouped together in the 10 eras of Swift’s career. However, last year after an intense Ticketmaster fiasco, many fans of Swift were left Eras Tour ticket-less. Fans were left only with TikTok snippets from those fortunate to attend the show. Luckily for these fans, there’s no more need for blurry live streams. Swift recorded three nights of her tour in Los Angeles to be edited together for theaters across the world, so anyone who wanted to see her show could, in high definition.

Swift relives 17 years of her career in her three hour setlist. (InStyle)

Seeing the Eras Tour in person was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I would do anything to relive it. I purchased tickets right away. 

After the announcement of the concert film, it was highly debated what proper theater etiquette should be. Swift said she wanted movie-goers to be singing and dancing, however, many people online went on to say watching the movie quietly to let others enjoy would be more appropriate. Once I arrived at the theater, it was very clear the environment was definitely welcoming to singing and dancing. My friend and I belted the lyrics to every song, and nobody had a problem with it.

Social studies teacher Katerina Papaioannou also attended the Eras Tour on Chicago Night Three and had a similar experience, where everyone respected each others’ boundaries. “It felt like it was a nice balance of people that were sitting down and people that were up and dancing, so you could do either and it was fine,” Papaioannou said. “It wasn’t like some of the videos that you might see online”. 

It felt like it was a nice balance of people that were sitting down and people that were up and dancing, so you could do either and it was fine.

— Katerina Papaioannou, Social Studies teacher

The film begins with the same countdown time as the real show. My friend and I rushed in the theater just in time, I felt the same anticipation as I did on June 4. Immediately, the cinematography of the film was breathtaking. It was so clear and I felt like I was front row watching the show. I sat in the 200s section of Soldier Field, so I had decent seats, but nothing like this. 

Throughout the show, I was able to catch every little detail. Swift’s expressions, her dancers, the costumes. The colors of the stage lit up the theater, and I quickly realized how thankful I was that Swift sent this concert film to the big screens first rather than streaming platforms. 

It’s more than abundantly clear that Swift has an eye for the dramatics. Most prominent in her Folklore set, Swift emotionally belts the devastating lyrics to her song Illicit Affairs while falling to her knees. In her song Tolerate It, Swift theatrically plays the role of a woman who just wants to be perfect for her never-satisfied partner, illustrated by her climbing all over a table, yearning for their validation. While I loved these moments when I saw them in person, it was so cool to see them up close.   

Swift sings ‘Tolerate It’ during Evermore set.

The movie runs just under three hours because Swift cut some of the fan favorites from the show. I was very upset to learn that The Archer, Tis The Damn Season, Long Live, Cardigan, and Wildest Dreams had been cut. The movie already is three hours, so why not just keep everything in?

But the concert film provides anyone a chance to experience Swift’s tour, especially those who weren’t able to snatch tickets. Junior Jessie Byron attempted to buy tickets to see Swift in Indianapolis in 2024 but was unable to snatch any. Byron still was able to enjoy the concert in theaters, though.

I think it was really cool. I think it was better than going [to the actual Eras Tour] because you can see angles you obviously wouldn’t be able to see if you were there.

— Jessie Byron, junior

“I think it was really cool. I think it was better than going [to the actual Eras Tour] because you can see angles you obviously wouldn’t be able to see if you were there,” Byron said. “And I feel like it was just like the same, people in the theater were jumping and dancing”. 

I will say,  nothing can beat being in the same stadium as Swift. The atmosphere of 70,000 other people whom you share one common interest with can’t be replicated. It feels so surreal to be in Swift’s presence, to hear all those other voices singing the same lyrics. It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour concert film helped me remember that special day in a whole new way.