Dylan Mulvaney: Strutting Runways, Stomping Stereotypes

Image credited to Variety Magazine

Transgender social media sensation dazzled the runways as she walked The Blonds’ Spring 2024 NYFW Show. The Blonds, a brand famously known for their inclusivity, has represented transgender models on their runways since their creation in 2007. The brand is rooted in the “desire to make their clients feel strong, seductive and confident.” Mulvaney undoubtedly embodied this mission as she strutted the runways in a glittery blue number.

Image credited to Getty Images for NYFW: The Shows

Mulvaney walked alongside other Transgender icons such as Dominique Jackson and Gigi Gorgeous. Dominique Jackson, an experienced strutter of The Blonds runway shows, wore a Cher-esque silver body suit with black boots. Gigi Gorgeous, an iconic Transgender internet personality, sported a metallic pink corset look. 

Image credited to Thomas Concordia/FilmMagic/Getty Images

The diverse intersectionality in this fashion show served as proof to the infamously discriminatory fashion industry that those of all identities can succeed and thrive in this industry, despite all odds being against them. This was more than a message to the fashion industry, though. Dylan’s wide social media presence with 10.5 million followers on TikTok and 1.8 million followers on Instagram impacted students at our school, too. “It was a huge milestone because Transgender models have never really been widely heard of, especially Transgender women.” A member of GSA explains. “The history of Transgender discrimination includes discrimination, but also a lack of representation. Having someone actually be out there is a really big deal for us.”

Being such a trailblazer comes with its downsides, though. Many know Mulvaney through her recent controversy with her Bud Light sponsorship. Conservatives infamously don’t respond well to progressive twists on classic brands, as seen in examples like Gillette and Nike. But when Mulvaney posted a video endorsing Bud Light, right-wingers responded in a never-seen-before bigoted rage. Those who felt threatened by or hated the existence of Transgender people bonded together with a now individualized target: Dylan Mulvaney. With such bigotry running rampant in our world, a Transgender student at North says it makes them feel, “Scared,” because, “There are people out there that will go out of their way to harm Transgender people. As someone who is Trans myself, it makes me scared to be openly Trans.”

Whether you like or dislike Dylan Mulvaney, it is crucial that here at Niles North, we create a welcoming and accepting community where all people are not only tolerated, but embraced with acceptance. Our world is painted in vivid strokes of cultures, beliefs, and identities. It is a privilege that our very own Niles North community embodies this international diversity, and so it is our duty to protect it. Instead of being quick to judge or hate, let’s treat those who are different than us with mutual respect. If we all were able to do this within our own communities, perhaps we could make a difference in our world far beyond our greatest dreams.

If you or someone you know has been subject to bullying or harassment, please report this to the Niles North Anonymous Tip Line: 847-626-2308.