The newest additions to Niles North’s PW department has players on the edge of their seats

Courtesy of District 219
Courtesy of District 219

Last year just before the 22-23 spring season, the demolition of baseball and softball fields began. The renovation, dubbed “The Turf Project”,  will include three complete turf fields that will consist of multi purpose markings for baseball, softball, soccer, and football. The board of education believes that the renovation is necessary due to the constant cancellation of games post-spring break, one of the rainiest seasons of the year.

Varsity baseball player Connor Niedfeldt says that “It’s good because we won’t have as many rained out games with the new turf, and we’ll have a lot more home games, so it’ll be easier for people to watch. the football and soccer teams will also be able to practice there, since there’s going to be 1 ½ football fields”. 

Sophomore Ben Le thinks that “It’s a good improvement but I wish we had more team time, but since there’s construction, the freshman/sophomore team has been doing everything with varsity, so there hasn’t been any one-on-one time for us and the coaches”. As he said, the varsity football team has been practicing with the freshman/sophomore team, which doesn’t leave a good enough opportunity for the new freshman to learn everything at a more reasonable pace. 

The Turf Project is estimated to be finished before the spring 2023-24 season. Coaches and players are all looking forward to the newest additions to the PW department.