What makes students “burn out” at the end of the school year?

What causes students to “burn out” during the school year? Burnout is a bit like senioritis which causes the majority of seniors to slack off in school or lose motivation to put in the effort, except burnout goes for all students. 

As the school year goes by, many students tend to burn out depending on what’s happening or upcoming during the school year. 

Grade level can affect how burned out students may get. Seniors maybe have a higher chance of getting burned out than freshmen since they have been in school longer and want to graduate already, as opposed to sophomores and juniors who may get burned out from just waiting to be a senior. 

It significantly affects the seniors who have already committed to the college that they love and can’t wait any longer.

When the school year starts, students tend to begin strong by doing their work and keeping on track. Most students generally start to slack off leading to winter break since it’s the longest break other than summer vacation.

Especially seniors who have applied to college already may slack off because they’re already committed or just want a passing grade so they can have an easy senior year. 

Other students from all grade levels may experience a decline in the amount of effort they put into school because they possibly have loads of work to complete or take hard classes and study many hours during the week. With AP testing, finals and summer vacation in May, a very large portion of students tend to really get burned out. AP students not only study for AP but finals as well causing more stress. 

“What burns me out during the months leading to summer vacation is that I’ve already been accepted to North Park University which is the school I plan on attending. I also want to finish high school already because psychology really drains me with the amount of studying I do,” senior Johan Lazo said, “I have so many note cards and Quizlets to look at. I also tore my ACL so I’m currently uninvolved in sports which is something that keeps me from burning out since I enjoy being in track The overall vibe of just being a Senior makes me want to leave already, that “finally” feeling is what I look forward to at the graduation ceremony.”