Niles North celebrates April Diversity Month

Since its initiation in 2004, April has been honored as National Diversity Month to recognize and celebrate the world’s differences based on factors such as race, ethnicity, faith, and sexual orientation. Within the walls of Niles North, various organizations have worked to uphold the school’s treasured standard of diversity through inclusive programs held throughout the month of April.

Middle Eastern and North African Month (April 1- April 28)

Throughout April, Niles North strived to honor Middle Eastern and North African heritage (MENA), specifically focused on raising awareness of Islam through guest speakers, musical performances and educational learning opportunities. You can find the calendar with all the events linked here.

Black Teen Summit (April 4)

District 219 hosted its third annual Black Teen Summit, hosting various informative sessions regarding Black excellence for students to attend. To read published stories covering the event, refer to Managing Editor Aiden Stanciu’s article linked here and reporter Jasmine Nichols’ article linked here.

PASA Movie Night (April 17)

PASA (Pan Asian Student Association) held a Movie Night that featured a screening of The Silent Voice, a Japanese animated film about a grade school student with impaired hearing who faces relentless bullying after transferring to another school. However, years later, one of her former tormentors sets out to make amends in an unworthy quest for redemption. The film helped bring together Niles North’s Asian community to emphasize the importance of mental health and emotional well-being.

Iftar celebration (April 17)

Muslim Student Association (MSA) hosted a dinner to recognize Iftar, the ceremonial breaking of the 30-day period of Ramadan fasting in the Islamic faith. Participants were invited to celebrate Ramadan with fellow Muslim students and staff by not eating or drinking anything from Dawn to Sunset. Individuals learned about the significance of the holiday and the religious customs used to honor the sacred month of Ramadan. This year historically marked the first time that the event was held at Niles North after a pilot program was held last year at Maine East and received widespread favorable feedback from attendees.

Chicago Latino Film Festival (April 18)

Advanced Spanish Conversation and AP Spanish Language and Culture classes traveled to Landmark Century Centre Cinema to see the film Hope, Soledad in honor of voicing Latino heritage. The plotline of the film centers around two women who meet by chance on a pilgrimage to visit La Virgen de Juquila in Oaxaca, Mexico. Hope, a college student, tries to establish an identity in her mother’s homeland after being displaced from her home in the United States while Soledad struggles to free herself from the ghost of her deceased lover and ultimately bring an end to the relationship with her husband who lives in the United States. Together, they walk in communion with pilgrims and attempt to create a bond to accommodate the weight of each other’s struggles.

Unity Assembly (April 19)

Niles North organized a Unity Assembly to showcase performances and contributions from the school’s diverse array of cultural and identity groups. Showcased in front of a school-wide audience, the event featured presentations and cultural dances from student organizations such as Hellenic Club, Baile, Filipino Club, South Asian Student Association and Assyrian Club. The end of the assembly also included an open dance space for any willing participants to join.

Club Renaissance (Queer Prom – April 22)

GSA is soon set to host Club Renaissance, the established theme for this year’s Queer Prom. According to GSA, the atmosphere of the event will revolve around elements of royalty, elegance, and club vibes. Participants are not required to dress up according to the theme but are more than welcome to do so. Available activities will include dancing, photo opportunities, face painting and live entertainment. The space is also set to feature a DJ table, linen-covered highboys for students to gather and eat and a Chill Zone. The deadline for registration and payment is Friday, April 21 at 3:30 pm, with total costs amounting to $25 per student.