Niles North opinions on Nashville school shooting

On March 28, 28-year-old Audrey Hale, a former student at The Covenant School in Tennessee, entered the school shooting and killed six people including three nine-year-old children and three staff members. Audrey Hale was killed by police a few minutes after the shooting began. On April 6, Black Democratic Tennessee lawmakers Justin Pearson and Justin Jones were ousted by the Tennessee House of Representatives for advocating for gun reform. North Star News would like to know your thoughts on the events that unfolded during this tragedy and its consequences on future gun control legislation.

What are your general feelings regarding the Covenant School shooting in Nashville?

“Nothing I say can describe how horrible it was. School shootings are just terrible to hear about. In fact, I was in the car with my family passing by Nashville (I was about 20 miles away from the city) on the way to Florida as the shooting was happening. If I had been a little bit closer, I could’ve gotten hurt, and my family too. And it made me think of the families of those who lost someone at the school. It scared me thinking about what they must have felt hearing the news that their family member was killed. Parents hear that they won’t get the opportunity to raise their children. Kids hear that their parents can’t be there for them anymore. It’s all so terrible.” – Flynn Sullivan, Junior

“We should be banning all firearms, especially the AR-15. how many more school shootings will it take for them to make owning firearms illegal? we really don’t need them. I also take much issue with the right side’s constant reminders that the shooter was trans. they are using Hale as an excuse to hate trans people. with all the laws with anti-trans rhetoric being passed recently, the fire is only getting fueled. but when will they realize that the problem isn’t just the shooter? these mass shooters would not be able to commit these tragedies if they didn’t have access to guns in the first place.” – Penelope Roewe, Sophomore

Tragic. The killer had a serious case of mental illness, on many levels. It’s very sad seeing someone with this extreme mental illness, as well as the victims of the killings and their families. We need more armed security in every school. We should not have to go to school in fear of such evil that is occurring all too frequently. – Jameson Zabrin, Faculty/Staff

Do you think the United States should implement stricter gun laws?

Guns have a more free law than other things. LGBTQ laws are being put in place and Roe V. Wade was turned, but guns stayed the same. The one thing that truly puts us all in danger isn’t being spoken of. – Melany Artajo, Sophomore

There is no reason that weapons of war should be easily and readily available to the public. – Sam Rhodes, Junior

“In an ideal world yes. Unfortunately, we don’t live in an ideal world. Therefore, logic needs to take precedence over fear and feelings. Criminals will always find a way to get firearms. Stricter gun laws take the fight away from law-abiding citizens. Having said that, I think there need to be vigorous background checks, but being a former police officer, I saw firsthand how badly people would obtain and use firearms without any regard for anyone’s safety.” – Jameson Zabrin, Faculty/staff

What do you think the ousting of the Black Tennessee Lawmakers says about the future of our democracy?

Dead. Due to American racist and misogynistic (Christian) values.  -Lou Kovitz, Faculty/staff member

“This is pretty obviously just Tennessee’s government silencing an uncommon opinion on gun control, there’s not much denying this. I don’t particularly care what people’s opinions on gun control are, but what I do care about is everyone having their freedom of speech which is granted by the Constitution. Fundamentally, this ousting was unconstitutional.” – Flynn Sullivan, Junior

“It was disgusting and a blatant display of racism and fascism. However, I also think it was a huge mistake for Republicans in Tennessee and across the country because it sends the message that punishing and silencing political opponents is welcomed within the Republican Party.” – Sam Rhodes, Junior

Setting a very bad precedent. It is noteworthy that of the three, only the 2 black lawmakers were ousted and not the white one. This country is regressing due to people who want ot make sure power stays in the hands of a few.  -Samina Hussain, Faculty/Staff

What steps can we as a society take to make schools across the nation safer?

“Red flag laws, common sense gun legislation, gun safety initiatives in the home and more mental health services.” – Dana Kantor, Faculty/Staff

Pass sensible gun control laws. -Cynthia Fey, Faculty/Staff

Vote out officials who have no spine to make stricter laws on gun control and put the rights over gun owners and support for NRA over lives of our citizens and children. The USA is the only country where mass shootings are happening on what seems like a daily basis.  -Samina Hussain, Faculty/Staff

“Gun control is the only answer. I hear people talk about how we need to address mental illness in people that decide to shoot up schools. There are two problems with this. Firstly, you can try giving these people therapy, which isn’t much use after the shooting has already happened, and it also costs a lot of money. This leads to the second problem, which is that most people who are shooting up schools don’t even have a diagnosis of any mental illness because they don’t even know they have one. Regardless of whether or not school shooters even have a mental illness, there’s absolutely no way of knowing where to start with this solution.” – Junior Flynn Sullivan