Assyrian Club marks year 6773 with Akitu celebration

On April 6, Assyrian Club hosted an event in the New Commons to celebrate and commemorate Assyrian New Year 6773. The celebration began at 4 and lasted until 6:30. Assyrian Clubs at Maine East, Maine West, and Niles West were invited to attend the event, along with the Sureye parent group, families and staff amongst the Assyrian community at Niles North. 

Assyrian New Year, or Akitu, is celebrated annually on April 1, or as Assyrians call it, Kha b’ Nisan. Kha means one in the Assyrian language and Nisan means the month of April. This holiday symbolizes the start of a new year and beginning of the Spring season in the Assyrian Culture. This year marks 6 ,773 years since the Assyrian culture was established. Assyrians from all around the world celebrate this occasion in many different ways. They host parades, picnics and festivals to celebrate their ancient history. 

Niles North chose to commemorate this occasion by hosting a celebration open to Assyrian staff and students within our community. In order to attend this event, you had to RSVP in order to attend. The event was filled with many different activities to honor the Assyrian culture. 

As attendees walked in, raffle tickets were handed out, then prizes were won after. Prizes included Assyrian shirts, Starbucks gift cards and Easter baskets. Also face painting was available, which was done by student volunteers. First, the event started out with speeches from activities director Caroline Benjamin, counselor and sponsor of Assyrian Club Ramina Samuel, co-sponsor of Assyrian Club Carmen Al-Bazi, sophomore John Shlimon, senior and president of Assyrian club Crystal Patto and the whole event was emceed by sophomore Ramina Korkis.

Akitu table created by Family Liaison, Janet Askharia (Photo courtesy to Assyrian Club Instagram)

Food was then served, having a variety of options from Crystal Palace, a banquet hall that serves and caterers middle eastern food. Foods such as traditional Assyrian salad, kabob, chicken skewers, rice, burak (Assyrian fried egg rolls) and vegan options for the ones who were participating in Easter lent. Addition to the food, there was a traditional chai/tea station. There was also an Akitu table presented to the attendees. 

To celebrate and have some fun, there was Family Feud played, Assyrian karaoke and culture Assyrian dancing called Khiga. Along with the dancing and singing, there was an instant photo booth available with an Assyrian flag background which all attendees enjoyed using! 

“I’m so glad I got to experience Akitu with other Assyrian members,” senior and president of Assyrian Club Crystal Patto said. “Since it’s my last year, I get to cherish these memories.”

Participants in Assyrian Karaoke (Photo courtesy to Assyrian Club Instagram)

That’s not the only way Niles North chose to celebrate Assyrian New Years. There were also banners hung in the hallways and on April 3, Assyrian Music was playing during passing periods. Assyrian club continues to find ways to honor their culture and share it with the school. Akitu to all those that celebrate!