Anh Nguyen, Sophomore

Photo by Anh Nguyen

Anh Nguyen, Sophomore

What is your name? Anh Nguyen.

What Year are you? Sophomore. 

Where were you born and Zodiac Sign? Chicago, IL and my zodiac sign is a Taurus.

Do you have a favorite artist? Ricky Montegomery. 

Favorite Food? Grilled cheese with chili oil, or a Vietnamese desert called Chè trôi nước.

Hobbies? Embroidery, painting, and crocheting. 

Something you feel is interesting about yourself? I’ve watched all episodes of Jane the Virgin Jane 3 times and am obsessed with epigenetics. 

What have you achieved since coming to Niles North? I would say knowing exactly what I want in the future because it can be difficult, but coming into Niles North I’ve come out knowing exactly what I want to do in the future and developed the confidence I need for the field I’m going into in the future.

Do you have a favorite memory? I remember one time after an online debate tournament, my friend and I were in an empty parking lot with an abandoned cart and I started pushing her around in it.

Do you have a favorite book? Educated by Tara Westover.

What is the research you are doing in SIRS? I’m using daphnia magna (a type of water flea) to analyze the effects of chronic exposure to alcohol upon the epigenome. Basically, I’m studying the methylation levels in different generations of daphnia to see the correlations between the alcohol and the methylation level. 

What clubs/after school activities are you involved in? I am also involved with SOAR, VSA, PASA, astronomy club, tennis, science olympiad, as well as some other ones, however I think that I would just like to summarize my after school experience as just doing the things I love, from social activism, to science. I think one of my favorite activities however, is coaching middle school science olympiad. It’s a pleasure to work with younger people as interested in science as I am.

What is your favorite song? My favorite song tends to fluctuate, depending on my mood. My current favorite is My Heart It Beats For You by Grant Perez, but I also love Mr. Loverman, by Ricky montgomery.