Lauren Velazquez, History teacher, Debate Coach

Lauren+Velazquez

Lily

Lauren Velazquez

What’s your name and department? My name is Lauren Velazquez, sometimes called Mrs. V, and I am in the social studies/history department. 

How long have you been teaching? I’ve been teaching probably about 10 years now

What made you want to be a history teacher? I actually hated history for most of school, but then right before I graduated high school I had an amazing history teacher, Mr. Hoff. He made me realize that history was just like drama and gossip about the past and I love drama so I fell in love with history. 

What made you want to be the debate teacher? I debated in highschool and it was the first activity that I really fell in love with, so when I found out the school needed a debate coach I was excited to try it out. Then I met some of my favorite students through debate so I’ve really enjoyed my time.

What is your favorite thing about debate? I think my favorite thing is getting to see a side of the students that I normally don’t get too. The debate team here is student run so watching them talk about what they care about and get excited about is infectious, so I get excited. 

Do you have any pets? I have three big fat cats, Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, and Deacon. I got them right after I saw the musical Hamilton, which was where I got their names

What is your favorite song? I don’t really have a favorite song, but sometimes when I’m down or need to get pumped up Will.i.am did a mix of the Obama Yes We Can‘ speech, so I listen to that.

Are you more of an introvert or extrovert? I am a total introvert. When I go home it’s me, a quiet book, and my kitties.

What’s one word you’d use to describe your personality Excited.

Where’s the coolest place you’ve taken students? Every year, we go to Michigan as a debate team. That’s often the first big trip that the debaters take with novice and varsity, so every year there’s just this excitement. Even though it’s just Michigan, it’s where the team really starts to become a team, and it’s a beautiful campus.