Four admin are leaving D219; Haskins named district’s new Deputy Superintendent, Amin named new Social Studies director

Photo by Patch

Four administrators from Niles West and Niles North High School are leaving District 219 to pursue alternative administrative positions in the education field.

After the 2023-2024 school year, four administrators are leaving the district: Niles West Principal Dr. Karen Ritter,  Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Sandra Arreguin, Head of Human Resources Tom Kim, and Social Studies director Scott Dahlberg.

On Thursday, Feb. 16, Niles West Principal Ritter announced her leave from District 219 to become the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum for Antioch Community High School in Antioch, Il. (District 117). 

I have enjoyed my time at Niles West, working with all of you and moving our school forward to support our students. I am proud of what we have accomplished together, including our continued focus on community building for students and adults during and after a pandemic,” she said in the email. “It is no wonder there is so much pride in our school, from alums, staff, and current students. This school is amazing! The school year is not over, and I will continue to support our school community in whatever way I can before the end of the school year.”

In Ritter’s email, she also apologized for not delivering the message in-person due to her daughter partaking in a college visit.

“This is news that I would have liked to have shared in person first thing Friday, however, I will be on a college visit to the Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD) with my senior, Olivia, where she is 99% sure she will attend,” she said. “We are attending “SCAD Day” this weekend so I can see the campus to make sure I am 100% ok with her attending there!”

Scott (Dahlberg) has worked here since 1990, so he’s had a long and distinguished career here…He knows the curriculum, and he’s been a part of the department. He’s got a lot of institutional knowledge.

— Pankaj Sharma, Social Studies teacher

As of March 16, the new Niles West principal for the 2022-2023 school year remains unknown.

On March 2, Arreguin, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, reposted an announcement on Facebook that she is leaving the district next year to become superintendent for Avoca West Elementary School in Glenview, Il.

“Welcome Dr. Arreguin. Thank you to the school board and administration for your rigorous and successful efforts to keep the Avoca D37 lighthouse shining so bright!” one Facebook user wrote. 

“She [Arreguin] is a very, very talented, thoughtful colleague,” Sharma said. “I think it’s very exciting for her and well deserved.” 

Tom Kim, the Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, is leaving District 219 to go to Batavia (District 101) as their superintendent. 

According to an email sent out by Executive Director of Communications and Partnerships April Stallworth on March 14, Ray Chung, Chief Legal Officer for Niles Township High District 219 will serve as his replacement in the newly created position of Executive Director of Human Resources and Legal Services. 

Additionally, according to another email from Stallworth, Dr. Rosena Haskins, will be the district’s new Deputy Superintendent. She worked closely with superintendent Tom Moore in the West Hartford district. Prior to working at West Hartford as the school’s assistant principal, she was a special education teacher, special education coordinator, nurse and psychologist supervisor. 

It is truly an honor for me to have been selected as Deputy Superintendent for Niles Township High School District 219. The district’s outstanding reputation that I have come to learn about, witness, and experience fills me with excitement about joining the great work being done and optimism about the future of D219.

— Deputy Superintendent Rosena Haskins

It is truly an honor for me to have been selected as Deputy Superintendent for Niles Township High School District 219,” Haskins said.  “The district’s outstanding reputation that I have come to learn about, witness, and experience fills me with excitement about joining the great work being done and optimism about the future of D219. I am humbled to be given this opportunity to serve within such a special community that values diversity and embodies a firm commitment to excellence in public education that every student deserves. I am thrilled about the challenge, change, and reward ahead, and I cannot wait to make District 219 a place I get to call ‘home.’ This is an exciting time for my family and me.”

Earlier this year, Social Studies Director Scott Dahlberg announced that he is retiring in May, 2023. 

“Scott has worked here since 1990, so he’s had a long and distinguished career here. He graduated from here and he even taught my brother and coached my friends in soccer,” Social Studies teacher Pankaj Sharma said. “He knows the curriculum, and he’s been a part of the department. He’s got a lot of institutional knowledge.”

On March 14, Principal Edwards sent an email to the staff welcoming the new director, Mrs. Prya Amin, former assistant principal at McCracken Middle School.

“Before joining McCracken, she was a Social Studies department head at Loyola Academy. Ms. Amin spent 17 years as a classroom teacher and team leader prior to her roles in administration,” he wrote. “Additionally, Mrs. Amin speaks fluent Sindhi, and can understand Hindi/Urdu. When Ms. Amin is not at school, she enjoys reading, gardening and spending time with her family.”