Jordan Shiner, History teacher

What is your name and department? My name is Jordan Shiner, and I’m in the Social Studies department. 

Did you teach at any other school or is North your first? North has been my first and only for coming upon thirty years. 

How would you describe most of your classes? Did students find your subject difficult? I would describe my classes– first of all, I teach about historical events and how it relates today. Civics are just current events (what it’s like to be a citizen in this country) and I think most kids find my classes interesting. I won’t say that they would think that difficult, I think they would find it an interesting class that I hope they look forward to coming to. 

What were some fun things you did in your classes? So over the years, one of my things, my fortes, is going to take field trips. We still have a couple planned for this year, but that’s been, I would say, of any one thing is to explore the city and try to have the history come alive by going to the places we’re learning about; whether it’d be Bronzeville, or labor issues like Pullman, or the Hull House, or Little Italy, so that’s been, I would say, one of the fun parts. I mean, the other thing is that I try to relate stories to historical events. 

Do you have a favorite song? What is it? For history, we’re going to have to say Guantanamera [by Company Segundo]. Why is Guantanamera one of my favorites? It’s the story about the Cuban Revolution and it ties into the Spanish-American War. 

Do you have any pets? I do not have pets. 

How would you describe your fashion sense? Not great. 

What is a quote you’re inspired by? “A desire accomplished is sweet for the soul.” 

What is a valuable thing you’d tell a new teacher? Be excited about coming to school each day to embrace the diversity of your students, to bring good ZFL (Zest for life) to approach it that way, man, a lot of things; that they should continue to learn, lifelong learn, don’t take your job too seriously. Understand it’s kids you’re working with and emotions change, so lots of things. 

What’s your best memory of teaching at north so far? As I look back, because I’m retiring this year, I’d think one of the things I’m going to look back on with fondness is really just the people at the school. That is both the students– I’ve loved the students, I’ve loved the diversity of the school– and also my colleagues. I’ve worked with great colleagues over the years, so it’s really been the people. My fondness, memories are the people. I’ve been involved in the school; I was a coach here and I’ve been involved in a lot of different levels, but the overall theme is I’ve enjoyed my time here because of the people.