New courses coming into the 2023-2024 school year

While course registration for the next school year runs from Jan. 17 – Feb. 3, students may want to take these new courses into consideration

English:

Stories of the African Diaspora:  This course will require students to critically examine the written works of the African Diaspora and its influence on modern society. This course will require students to research and analyze the educational achievements, usage of AAVE (African American Vernacular English), political/social movements, and contemporary cultures of African, Black, Caribbean and /or Afro-Hispanic/Afro-Latin people. The central mission of this course will be to support the development of critical consciousness, intellectual curiosity, and cultural celebration among our students by facilitating a rewarding study of the fiction and non-fiction works of people of Africa and of African descent. 

Grade Availability: 9-12

Credit: Regular or Honors

World Language: 

Assyrian Language and Culture:  This foundational course is for all students interested in the Assyrian language and culture. Students will develop knowledge through an emphasis on reading, listening, writing and speaking. In addition to the study of language, students will learn about Assyrian culture through food, music, folk dance, discussions, and films. Culturally relevant teaching strategies within this course take into consideration student interests, backgrounds, and abilities. 

Grade Availability: 9-12

Credit: Regular or Honors

Advanced Spanish for Heritage Speakers:  Advanced Spanish for Heritage Speakers focuses on improving students’ communication skills in Spanish through specific contexts like medical, legal, or business situations along with cross-cultural and professional situations.  Students will also develop stronger literacy skills in Spanish to improve their reading and writing for the future, which will transfer to improved skills in English.  This course is a prerequisite for Spanish heritage speakers or teacher recommendation.

Grade Availability: 9-12

Credit: Regular or Honors