Underclassmen: Make room for music in your schedule

Made+in+Canva.+

Bella Kaminsky

Made in Canva.

Class scheduling for underclassmen in anticipation of the new school year is right around the corner, and the music department has a few new and underappreciated courses to offer that students can enroll in. 

Niles North’s Orchestra and Guitar Director Jennifer Page is one of many faculty members in the music department who has been encouraging these new classes geared towards beginners. “The music teachers are excited to connect with new students in the building that we haven’t met and also reconnect with students who may have stopped playing because of remote learning and other reasons,” Page said. 

Strings Project and Exploratory Band are the two new courses that have been in development for a few years but are now finally going to make their debut. For anyone who has always wanted to pick up an instrument, these are great options. Both classes start with the basics of musicianship, reading music, and how to play with an ensemble. Students get to pick from a plethora of options like bass, cello, and viola, all the way to brass instruments and percussion. 

Outside of the new additions, there are other lesser-known courses available to get involved in the department. Electric Music, Keyboard, and Music Theory are other excellent classes that host the exploration of different facets of music. “Students in these classes can look forward to a positive and supportive environment, friendly teachers, and the option to continue in orchestra or band in the future,” Page said. 

All materials and instruments are provided to students by the school. 

“We want the music department to be a place where students feel comfortable learning, being creative, and making new friends,” said Page. Be sure to ask your counselor at the next check-in about these amazing opportunities!