Shoutout to Black staff/faculty (part 2)

As Black History Month came to a close, here are even more shoutouts for Niles North Black staff who members of our community wanted to recognize for their Black excellence.

John Bell, Security

• I’m thrilled about Mr. Bell’s promotion and I’m so glad he is in his leadership security role at North.
  • Whenever I have a need from the security department, I will go to Mr. Bell, knowing that he will take care of my issue with professionalism, competence, patience, kindness, and quiet strength.
  • He always has a welcoming aura when you first come into the school, and during the school days. There is never a dull moment.

John Bias, Special Education Paraprofessional

• Mr. Bias has been a source of great advice, understanding, and solidarity.
  • Every time I work with Mr. Bias or run into him in the hall, I am reassured that I can count on him. He brings excellence to our educational institution.

Damani Brown, Applications Trainer

• Mr. Brown’s Professional Development Center is a warm and inviting space where staff can always find the answer to their questions!
  • Everything Mr. Brown does is excellent! From his mathematics skills to his technology expertise, he provides support to so many people in our school.

Marlon Felton, Assistant Principal

• The man deserves all of the credit for making our school function. He is selfless and thinks about the students so much. He brings so much to every space he occupies and shares with others. Thank you, Mr. Felton!
  • Assistant Principal Felton does a stellar job and is someone we can always count on for the well-being of staff and students.
  • Mr. Felton has helped countless times with meeting and classroom logistics; he takes time to listen and respond to every need, and always makes me feel a valued and respected member of our community.

Denise French, Guidance Secretary, Student Services

• Ms. French is the epitome of compassionate professionalism.
  • When tragedy has struck our community, Ms. French has consoled us with her understanding and kindness.

Ashlee Miller-Berry, Science teacher

• Not only does Ms. Miller-Berry excel as a science teacher, but she is also a caring, funny, and brilliant person.
  • Ms. Miller-Berry is so multi-talented that every time we talk, there’s a new topic where I learn from her. When her students participated in the Museum of Science and Industry’s program of a live broadcast of open-heart surgery, the educational and personal benefits were boundless.

Greg Owens, Security

• He’s super nice and uplifts me every day.
  • He comes to my lunch every day to ask how I am and gives me advice.
  • He always makes me laugh. He is always positive and he is extremely helpful!
  • You might not know this but, Greg has one of the best voices at Niles North! If my class is in the Main gym and I have Motown on, he will be locking up the doors and singing!

Kia Pickett, Counselor

• Ms. Pickett has a depth of perception and wisdom that I aspire to and admire
  • Ms. Pickett has made me laugh harder than anyone in the building. I’ll never forget how warm and wonderful she is.
  • She was one of the first African American people in the school that introduced me to different people, and she always wants me to do my best.
  • Kia Pickett stands out with action behind her words.
  • There are so many special moments, but if I must choose one I would say her Department Field Trip to Wayne State University. Just seeing her in her element working with our students making sure they understand what is required of them to become college students. She can go from being a professional School Counselor to taking upon a Motherly role instantly. Her dedication, compassion, and love for our youth at NNHS are phenomenal. Cherished moments are the best.

Glenn Sevier, Social worker

• Because he is a phenomenal, kind person.
  • When I had a problem he was very compassionate.

Bruce Taylor, ABM Site Manager, Buildings & Grounds

• Mr. Taylor is a genuine and empathetic human and a consummate professional.
  • When Mr. Taylor shared in the WHO Club panel that he had been involved in the Peace Corps, it shed light for me on his values of service, commitment, and humanity. I see his light and dedication in every interaction.

Joshua Yamamoto, Science teacher and Girls’ Track Coach

• He’s fabulous and awesome and is talented in not only teaching but also in coaching and has always been a comfort.
  • He taught me how to best correct my form when in track, but he has also helped several of my friends pass their chemistry class with one on one teaching.