NN Black Staff Spotlight

Our last Black Staff Spotlight featured safety officer GreGory Owens and school counselor Kia Pickett. For the final day of Black History Month, we are closing out with Chemistry/Forensics teacher Gordon Booker It is important to highlight the work he does as a Black educator here at school and the impact he has had on our community.

What is your first and last name? 

“Gordon Booker.”

What is your job title? 

“Chemistry/Forensics Teacher.”

How long have you been working at Niles North? 

“10 years.”

What is your favorite moment that you’ve shared with a student?

“I love sharing my life experiences with students. My hope is that they can learn from my accomplishments and mistakes.”

What is your hope for the future of Black teachers and educators?

“I would love to see more highly qualified passionate professionals of color in positions of power, especially in front of students! Learning from different types of people in different ways, gaining multiple perspectives makes everyone more well rounded and ready for the world.”

I would love to see more highly qualified passionate professionals of color in positions of power, especially in front of students!

— Gordon Booker, Science teacher

Did you have any inspiring Black role models growing up?

“My chemistry teacher, Mr. Nelson, was one of my favorite teachers in high school. He was really intelligent and made science super fascinating. He was one of the first teachers that made me think more about all the space out in the universe, and the idea that we are all made up of atoms millions of years old.”

How have you grown since working at Niles North?

“I’ve become a better educator and leader; I feel more confident in my role because of my years of experience. I also have a better grasp of how I want to impact people around me.”

What is something that students don’t know about you?

“Meditation has been a game-changer in my life.”

What is your favorite cookout song?

“Swag Surfinnn’.”

What dessert is a must for Thanksgiving Dinner?

“Gotta save room for that Chocolate Cheesecake!”