Mask mandate lifted Feb. 28 to mixed reactions

In an email sent to families on Feb. 21, Superintendent Steven Isoye announced: “Our plan is to suspend mandatory masks on Monday, February 28 and recommend masks. This is aligned with the lifting of the indoor mask mandate in the state…I ask that our students, staff and community understand that no bullying, harassment or judgment should be made about a student, or staff members choice of wearing or not wearing a mask.” NSN would like to know how you will respond to the mask protocol next week, what you would hope to expect on campus, and your reaction to lifting the mask mandate.

What behavioral expectations do you want to see followed when masks are recommended, not mandated, to be worn in school?

“Do we change our seating charts? Do we pretend like everything’s fine when it isn’t? sigh. People who are afraid of bringing something home to their vulnerable family members may feel panicky and trapped during passing periods and big classes — and people lash out when they feel trapped. Meanwhile, the anti-maskers are already acting kind of smug about their “victory” and barely wearing their masks, and I hope to heck they won’t harass the people who are still masking. Sadly, I think the district’s decision is going to create MORE confusion and tension. It didn’t need to be that way.”

“Although there will be obvious tension revolving around where you stand, respect should not be a doubt when it comes to your choice. I know that I am going to wear a mask, but I don’t think that should give people the right to judge you and decide what kind of person you are. You don’t know others situations and circumstances, so it is best to respect others decisions. As someone wearing a mask, I hope other precautions can still be taken such as social distancing.”

“Not being hated on for not wearing your mask or even wearing your mask. I do not want any teachers to be rude in a way and try to be passive aggressive if your not wearing a mask. One of my teachers already talked to us about this and was being very rude to the idea of not wearing a mask, which should not happen. If they are making it optional, the choice of another should not matter to you.”

“More social distancing and being safer. I also expect the school to put in place more protocols to keep the school safe such as installing door pullers inside the bathrooms. Although we are in a pandemic, a lot of people still don’t wash their hands and the constant touching of doors is spreading germs. I also hope the school puts back the hand towels being as the hand dryers spread a lot of germs. It’s not a lot but simple things like that could help along with other things.”

“I respect everyone’s decision of whether or not they want to wear masks, however, I would love it if those who actually choose to wear a mask wear it properly. If you’re wearing mask below your nose or some other improper way, you might as well just take the mask off.”

“If we’re going maskless, you guys need to enforce proper social distancing, including in the hallways. I know that sounds difficult but why don’t we get rid of homeroom and instead use that time to add to passing periods to reduce clutter in the halls? Or just have a different method, anything.”

“I honestly would appreciate some respectful debates. I think we all want a peaceful reaction on Monday and moving forward, but I also think it’s important to discuss and understand each others perspectives.”

“I would like to see people who decide not to wear a mask to maintain a distance from other people of 6ft, like at the beginning of the pandemic. It would also be good if they got tested every week.”

What is your reaction to the mask mandate being lifted at our school?

“The mandate should NOT be lifted unless there is an option for students/staff to learn/teach remotely. Many people are immunocompromised or live with someone who is immunocompromised, and it is unfair and wildly dangerous to throw them into a dangerous situation. The situation goes beyond “tolerating someone for their decision to not wear a mask” because it’s not about them, it’s about protecting our community and keeping them safe. If D219 is as kind and caring as it claims to be, then we should be centering the well being of people whose health is at risk.”

“I think it was a huge jump that I did not like. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, and I think we should set an example of being safe rather then sorry to other schools. If we have the slight thought of how it might turn out bad, then why are we willing to risk that? It’s either experiment without masks and possibly lose lives, or wear our masks and be a little uncomfortable. If this is the decision for the rest of the year, I think it is necessary to have a safe e-learning option so certain kids don’t have to risk their lives and their family members lives to get their education. In a time like this, we need to prioritize no matter what.”

“I am extremely happy, however there appears to be a backlash against this lifting by a number of people who want to dictate what others can and can not do, those who favor the mask mandate. I really hope the school follows through with the lifting next week.”

“I’m honestly incredibly upset. It is WAY too soon for this. Why now? Why not wait until next year to lift the mandate? What really made me angry is that WHOEVER wrote the email seemed very bias. The email RECOGNIZED and ACKNOWLEDGED the fact that students have old family members, anxiety, etc. but yet has done absolutely NOTHING to help. A video won’t help students who have anxiety disorders. “Information” won’t help students who have old family members. Shame on D219.”

“To be completely honest, it makes me uncomfortable. The pandemic has raged for the past two years, and it is clear that it is not over. The mask recommendation instead of a mask mandate does not make logical sense. If masks are one of the key components to combating the virus, then why should we stop now? Why risk the safety of hundreds when we know there is a danger? Again, THE PANDEMIC IS NOT OVER. However frustrating that may be, it is the truth.”

“I am not 100% for lifting the mask mandate JUST YET. I am completely ready for the day it is SAFE to do so, and so desperately want this epidemic to settle, however that does not excuse the fact that covid is still a huge issue. I agree with many other of my peers because masks are currently the only thing left that we have followed to prevent the spread of covid due to little to no space for social distancing, etc.”

“I don’t like it. I’m very used to wearing one. I feel like we should wait until the school year ends. I feel like more and more students/teachers will stop wearing the masks as the norm falls out and the weather becomes hotter. It’s appropriate to assume that soon the majority will not wear a mask.”

“I feel that it isn’t right because there are people at school who live with immunocompromised family members. It’s not fair. If the school shows concern for those who do live with immunocompromised family members, then why is the mask mandate being lifted? It does not make sense whatsoever.”