BSU releases BHM calendar for North

This Black History Month, the Black Student Union (BSU) collaborated with DREAM (Discovering Resourceful ways to Encourage Alliances and Mentorship Amongst Women of Color) and Notice (an African American male mentoring group) to put together a month-long celebration of Black History.

Together, the groups collaborated to create an interactive calendar that is accessible to all students and staff at Niles North. Each day the calendar features a fun way to celebrate Black History. Some ways include buying a DECAdent Delight in which a percentage of the profit goes to BSU, attending the Black Scientists Panel, and the BSU Virtual Magazine. 

Members of the Black community at Niles North are very excited about the events taking place.

Senior varsity athlete AJ Harris hopes students will engage with the Black History Month calendar. “With everything that has been going on in our country and in the world, we don’t want people to forget what we’ve been through and what we continue to go through” Harris said.

So many kids in our generation use Black culture when it’s convenient for them, especially in the media. Our skin and our culture aren’t just trends and hashtags.

— Tassia Thompson, senior

It is important that our student body supports their fellow African-American students by making an effort to learn why this month is so important.

Senior Tassia Thompson believes it’s crucial our student body reflects upon itself this Black History Month. “I would love for people to take a second to just stop and think,” Thompson said. “So many kids in our generation use Black culture when it’s convenient for them, especially in the media. Our skin and our culture aren’t just trends and hashtags. Take the time to learn about us a little better!”

This Black History Month do your part. Take advantage of BSU’s window decorating competition, watch a Ted Talk about Black History.