NN students win at the Scholastic Art Awards

Multiple talented students from Niles North received Scholastic Art Awards on January 8, which gave recognition and acknowledgment to their outstanding artwork. 

The following Scholastic Art Awards were given to exceptional artwork created by students from all over the United States. The potential awards, from easiest to most difficult to achieve, are an Honorable Mention, Silver Key, and a Gold Key. 

One of the many students from Niles North to receive one of these awards was Junior Kyla Henderson. She entered two pieces: one called “A Mother’s Cry” for which she received the Gold Key, as well as another piece called “Oxygen” for which she received a Silver Key. 

It’s very special that I was able to win these awards. It reflects on all of the hard work that I’ve put in and how it paid off,” Henderson said.  

Another winning student was senior Nicole Nantz who entered four pieces, and received three Silver Keys and one Honorable mention. She entered “Space News,” “Grief”, “In the Cracks,” and “She Ain’t Looking Too Hot,”. 

“You can consider it hard to win these types of awards especially since I work on digital art which is sometimes considered not as much of a craft as traditional art,” Nantz said. “I find that I put in more experimentation for that reason to show what digital art can achieve.”

Finally, Junior Nina Malhotra entered a photography piece and won a Silver Key. 

I was happy to see that my photo won something because it’s one of my favorite photos I’ve taken this past school year!”Malhotra said.“When you put effort and passion into making something you’re proud of, it feels really good to have it recognized.” 

Niles North is home to many talented artists. Congratulations to those who won the Scholastic Art Awards. To see all the winners from Niles North, click here.