October is the month of mental illness acknowledgement

Photo by Kayleigh Rice

Mental Illness Awareness Week is coming up on October 6-12 all across the United States and World Mental Health Day is on October 10 as well as National Depression Screening Day. Each year millions of people in the United States are affected by a mental illness which ultimately affects everyone directly and/or indirectly. Mental health affect one’s ability to think, feel, and act which could lead to dangerous choices being made.  Openly discussing mental health, educating the public, and advocating for treatment raises awareness for individuals to know that they are not alone. 

Niles North provides multiple ways for students to seek aid when they feel emotionally distraught and by discussing their emotions with friends or a faculty member, it can prevent students from heading the wrong direction. 

“Niles North has an excellent student services department. If you have questions you can start by talking to any trusted adult in the building. Then they can help connect you with the resources. If you are comfortable talking to your counselor, that’s a good starting point (teacher or coach you talk to will also start with your counselor). We have psychologists and social workers who meet with students, work with groups, and can connect you and your family with resources in the community. Every adult in this building entered the field of education because they care about kids. So find the person you connect with and ask for help. We are lucky to be at a district that has access to these great resources.” Niles North Mental Health Club Sponsor Mary Richards said. 

For young adults who are struggling with mental health, know that you are not alone. Admitting that you need help is not a weakness and don’t let the fear of judgement from others stop you from getting treatment.