DM invites everyone to pop up and run

Photo courtesy of Shopify Blog

Darlene Sese, Reporter

Dance Marathon will be hosting their first pop-up thrift store later this month and are getting ready for their annual Halloween 5K. 

Dance Marathon along with other clubs are hosting a pop-up thrift shop where students can donate used clothes as well as buy them for a discounted price. The pop-up thrift shop is from September 23 to 25 during all lunch periods in the   New Commons. 

Donation for clothes began on September 9 and if you donate clothes you can get $1 coupon to use at the thrift store. Goals of the store are to provide ways for students and staff to purchase used clothing for a reasonable price, to raise money for the School Chest, and to make individuals more aware of the environmental impact of buying new clothes.

“I’m excited about the DM pop up thrift shop because it’s the first time we’re doing something like this and it’s a fun way to collaborate with other clubs in school, such as fashion club, fem club, and recycling club. I think it’s important because clothes sold at the shop is helping fundraise for a great cause (Apna Ghar, this year’s organization!),”  DM Executive senior Diana Buda said.

All of the proceeds will go to helping the School Chest which is Apna Ghar (an organization that helps immigrant communities end gender violence) and the D219 Education Foundation (helps D219 students obtain costly things for their education). All the unsold items left at the thrift store will be donated to Goodwill. 

On October 27, Dance Marathon and Cross Country are hosting the annual Dance Marathon Halloween 5K at Niles West. All the money raised will be going to support the School Chest, Apna Ghar and the D219 Education Foundation.

Online registration is available where groups are able to register as a team (four or more) at $15 per student and $20 per adult or you can register as an individual where students are $20 each and adults are $25 each but day-of registrations have a price increase of $5. Day-of registration begins at 8am and the run starts at 9am, whereas after there will be music, snacks, and prizes. Everyone is welcome to join!