Join the fight, one step at a time

Ellie Henderson, North Life

Cancer. One in every three people in the United States are diagnosed with cancer every year, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).

Relay For Life (RFL) is the signature event and most successful fundraiser organized by the American Cancer Society. The benefits of Relay for Life include amassing funds for cancer research and uniting the community to fight this disease.

District 219 Relay for Life brings the communities of Skokie, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles together (RFL SLMGN). Everyone that is a part of RFL is all here for the same reason: cancer and to put it to an end. Niles North and West Relay For Life Club works closely together throughout the year preparing for the event held this year on May 24, 2019.

D219 Relay For Life works hard all year to produce a fun and memorable event to fight cancer and support the journeys that cancer patients and caregivers face.

“During our Relay For Life event we celebrate, remember and fight back. Our event is held at the end of May from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Niles North High School,” Sarah Rupani said.

“Not only is Relay For Life a club at Niles North, it is an event at the end of the year. As a way to celebrate a year of fighting cancer and fundraising, we come together for performances, food, games, contests, and, most importantly, a walk. We walk to show cancer that we will keep the fight moving. Really, most of us don’t run…but you can if you want to” Gary Chu said.

Leading up to the event in May, RFL holds many fundraiser throughout the year. On October 19, Relay For Life sold pink long sleeve shirts to support breast cancer awareness month. These shirts were sold during lunch periods and purchased by students and staff to wear on Friday nights game against Evanston Township High School.

Another fundraiser RFL holds is “Growvember” also known as No Shave November. This event entails staff growing out their facial hair throughout the month of November and at the end of the month students and staff vote on their favorite.

Before the event in May,  RFL holds there student verses staff dodgeball game. This is one of RFL biggest fundraisers of the year. This past year The Harvard Dropouts team had won and broke the staffs three year winning streak.

Relay For Life meets on Mondays after school in room 2070. The meetings are lead by juniors Ellie Henderson and Annena Joesph this years club presidents and supervised by Gary Chu.