No longer commonplace: Student Commons receives updates

Ellie Henderson, North Life Editor

The new Student Commons moved locations as of last year and received updates.

Under the direction of Marlon Felton, assistant principal of buildings and operations, the new Student Commons is now located next to The Point in room 1320.

The first improvement was the installation of screens, similar to what the old Commons had. Prior to the update, those utilizing the space were required to face the hallway when seated due to the layout. This later caused conflict for presenters and viewers because of the light coming through the windows from behind and the disruptions of people entering The Commons while the presentation was going on. To solve this problem, projector screens and shades are now installed on the south end which in addition gives students and staff the view of the courtyard and less disruption towards the presenter and viewers of people entering.

In addition to these changes, Felton directed the implementation of additional enhancements. With the screens and blinds installed, a new audio system would be added to improve audio quality.

The Commons has been a work in progress over the last year. The administration implemented new changes at the beginning of June and renovations started. With this, Felton and his team started brainstorming and came up with some great ideas and the best way to utilize the new space.

“I want this to be a space where students and staff can come together and gather,” Felton said.

He hopes to achieve this goal by collaborating with students relative to a swipe system, as well as opening up the new Student Commons as a place to complete work, have conversations, and give students another place to gather as well as potentially implementing a swipe system.

“Niles North is a safe place for our students and that’s our number one priority,” Felton said.

Although there are still many goals and improvements to be made in the future, certain renovations have already been made for the 2018 – 19 school year. The rest of the improvements are forthcoming.