Niles North implements new safety measures for 18-19 school year

Hannah Lizano, Sports Editor

Over the summer Niles North Security and the administration made improvements and updated the security throughout the school to be able to keep students in a safe and secure environment.

The school’s entrances have been updated with additional security measures. The main entrance and doors 12 and 16 are now staffed with extra security guards in the morning and afternoon. Specifically door 16 offers an ID-check system for all arriving students and staff.

Over the summer, our security department added extra surveillance cameras in areas of the school that were not covered such as door entrances, hallways, and staircases.

Our security department and administration implemented these additions to keep our school and community safe.

Al Lopez, Director of Security, commented on how some of these changes brought awareness to the school. “You’ll always have a heightened sense of fear when you have, especially an incident like Parkland,” Lopez said. “It shows us where we can try to always make improvements. No matter how good you think something is, there is always room to make that even better.”

He explained that the school became more aware of the issues that needed to be covered and made sure if a situation appears then the security safety team is fully equipped to handle that.