Governor Rauner signs TRUST act; Illinois becomes sanctuary state for immigrants

Picture Credit: Ashlee Rezin

Picture Credit: Ashlee Rezin

Picture Credit: Ashlee Rezin

Yukta Parikh

On Monday, March 19, Governor Bruce Rauner signed the TRUST Act which bars cooperation between immigration officials and Illinois police departments. The act also turns Illinois into a sanctuary state. 

The TRUST Act denies local officials from detaining people on the behalf of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).  Officials are also no longer allowed to question people about their immigration status.

“The TRUST Act will ensure that those who live in this state of limbo [as concerns immigration status] can have one certainty: When their lives and their families are in danger, they can turn to the police without their world being taken away from them,”  Serafina Ha, who is part of the Korean immigrant services agency, the Hana Center, said.

The act passed with mostly Democratic support in May of 2017 and support built for the act. Support for the act came from Illinois law enforcement functionaries, faith leaders, employers, and also the Campaign for a Welcoming Illinois.

Although there are opponents of the act, it is seen as a step in the right direction for many of the residents of Illinois. The act is also seen as beneficial for immigrants and creates a safer environment for them in Illinois’ communities.