Viking Brews: Rise and grind

Zaynab Hossain

Viking Brews is a student-run coffee service that brews and delivers coffee every morning to Niles North staff. Teachers and staff can place their order through a Google Form, and it is later hand delivered to them by students.

“Viking Brews teaches them vocational skills that they can use in the future when applying for jobs,” Andrea Davis, Special Education and Vocational Coordinator, said.

The Vocational Program gives students in the Special Ed program a chance to get experience working for an employer. They learn skills and behaviors that let them work towards become productive future employees.

North works with local businesses and employers to allow students to gain work experience as volunteers outside of school as well. Tasks given to the students include folding boxes, returning carts, shredding paper, bookbinding, inventory work, laundry, filing, hand delivering messages.

“They don’t necessarily have to serve coffee or do laundry as a part of their career, but the skills they get while doing that work is what helps them in the long run,” Davis said.

The Special Education department provides services to students eligible for it, helping students with special needs develop academic, social, emotional, vocational and life skills. The service provides modified academic classes, support for general education classes and opportunities for students to learn vocational skills. Viking Brews is one of such opportunities for kids in the program.

If you are a faculty or staff member interested in adding this to your morning to brighten it up, you can order coffee through this Google Form.