Niles North boys basketball: The return

The leaves are falling and the temperature is dropping. This means one thing for the guys on the court, basketball is back.

Last year the boys basketball team lost a tough sectional final game against the New Trier Trevians at Glenbrook North High School. The boys are looking forward to further their success, as they’ve won the regional championship for the past three years. The team has also won two conference championships, and a sectional championship in the past three years.

“We definitely want to repeat a regional, and keep going as far as we can go.” Senior Duante Stephens said.

This will be Coach Olsen’s fifth year at North, where he is already the second most winning coach in Niles North’s basketball history.

“We don’t put goals measured in wins and such, but I hope our goal is to surpass the teams before us.” Coach Olson told us.

Olsen is more than prepared with his staff, which includes; assistant coaches John Clancy, George Drase, and Papa O (Don Olson). Combined with his returning seniors, new additions, and rising stars, the team is looking ready this season.

The team has seven returning seniors who include; J.J. Myles, Will Donado, Peter Tate, James Sarris, Kevin Hanna, Gabe Garcia, and Stephan Roney. Along with experienced underclassmen, the team will not look too much different from last years squad.

“We’ve got to be ready every game, because of the success in the past years we’re going to get everybody’s best game.” Coach Olson said.

Get ready to watch the boys as their first game is Monday November 25th, where they’ll take on Alcott, in the Palatine Tournament.

All games are available to watch on High School Cube this winter.

Good luck boys basketball, and go Vikings!