North musicians in tune and onstage at IMEA All-State

Four Niles North musicians and one vocalist took star turns onstage  at the Illinois Music Educators Association (IMEA) All-State on January 26 -28 in Peoria.

Senior trombonist Connor Thummel, senior oboist Tamara Winston, senior bassist Robby Moss and sophomore bassist Jacob Nagler, all auditioned and were accepted to All-State Orchestra. Junior vocalist Olivia Reyes  was a featured soloist in the Honors Vocal Jazz Ensemble.

Students who audition for IMEA All-State must be part of a high school music program (band, orchestra or choir). In October they auditioned for a group of judges from District VII, which is made up of 65 schools. If they scored high enough, they qualified to go to the IMEA District VII Festival, the equivalent of all-conference or regionals. The musicians who are in the top scoring of that festival will then make All-State. At All-State they have another audition for final placement in band, orchestra, choir and jazz ensembles.

Auditions are rigorous, Dan Gregerman, choir and Vocal Jazz director, said.  For example, “The vocal jazz auditions require two pieces of music, a blues scale, a chromatic scale improvisation and also a sight reading example.”

At All-State the musicians and singers have little time to rest on their laurels. “The students rehearse all day Thursday and Friday. On Saturday there are final rehearsals before two final concerts Saturday afternoon,” Gregerman said. “The All-State Jazz Concert is on Friday evening.”

“It’s really something to be able to hear these groups play [together],” band teacher Elton Eisele said.

Performing in the orchestra, which is made up of the best high school musicians in Illinois, gives the musicians an opportunity to work with world renowned conductors, Pamela Hendrix, orchestra teacher, said. “Being involved in the IMEA All-State Orchestra or Vocal Jazz ensembles is a great experience,” says Hendrix, even if it’s only for the auditions.

Vocalist Reyes agrees. “Every performer should know that the more you audition, the easier it gets to not only perform in front of others, but to be prepared for future auditions as well. It’s always good to get yourself out there.”