Writers’ Week celebrates written and spoken word

Students, teachers and professional authors will celebrate the beauty and power of the written word during Writers’ Week, a new event at North. The event, held March 6-8 in the East Codell Commons, includes readings, discussions and workshops led by various writers.

Participants include USA Today reporter Marlen Garcia, Daily Herald sports writer Mike Imram, Poetry Slam enthusiast J.W. Basilio, Old Town School singer-songwriter Steve Dawson, and Columbia College professor and poet  Tony Trigilio.

Children of War editor Deborah Ellis will also read excerpts from her book and discuss the process of putting the collection together. Children of War, a collection of writings by Iraqi refugees, is one of the books selected for Coming Together in Skokie, which this year celebrates the Assyrian culture. Ellis will make her presentation in the auditorium during periods 4 and 5 on Wednesday, March 7.

Niles North students and faculty members will also read from their own writing or their favorite works of prose or poetry. Student readers include Will Boersma and Treshawn Brown. Faculty readers include teachers Scott Bramley, Ivan Silverberg, James Haberl, Jean Ordonez, Lisa Litberg and Nils Peterson. Student playwrights from the Niles North Theatre Department and members of the Poetry Club will also perform.

According to Niles North English director and Writers’ Week coordinator Tony Bradburn, the event will have less of a formal structure and “more of a coffee house approach.” Speakers can have the platform for up to 40 minutes to discuss writing and their works.

“It’s going to be very cool,” said English teacher and presenter Jean Ordonez, who is helping to coordinate the event.