D219 students reach out to Ugandan children

For the 2013-2014 school year, Child Restoration Outreach Support Organization, CROSO, will be Dance Marathon’s primary beneficiary. As a secondary beneficiary, Niles North and West students will also support the District 219 Foundation for Excellence.

CROSO is a 6 year old, non-for-profit organization that provides scholarships to students in Uganda so they can attain post-secondary education. It helps ensure the educational future of those who have successfully completed primary and secondary school and have been accepted into a university or a technical school program.

The organization was founded by Molly Heineman, a Niles West graduate, who studied abroad in Uganda in 2006 and had an internship with CRO (Child Restoration Outreach). CRO is a non-governmental organization that offers primary and secondary level education, food and social support to Ugandan street children who wouldn’t have a future otherwise.

Since CRO was limited and couldn’t help those who wanted to continue their post-secondary education due to insufficient funds, “I thought it would be great to combine some of our resources to create a specific fund for scholarships, and that’s where the idea of [CROSO] started,” Heineman said.

So far, 10 Niles North and West students have had the opportunity to become pen pals with the Ugandan scholars. “Having a pen pal from Uganda is such a special, unique opportunity. I really like learning about their culture and just interacting with them!” senior Brooke Reotutar said. Also, the Ugandan scholars will soon be sending Dance Marathon students an instructional dance video to showcase the Ugandan culture.

As for the secondary beneficiary, the District 219 Foundation for Excellence provides different resources that are outside the regular district budget to help provide a better education to Niles Township High School students. Last year, with support from students, clubs, sports teams, staff, local businesses and community members, DM raised nearly $84,000 for the Foundation and the 2012-13 chief beneficiary, Rustic Falls Nature Camp.

This year, the DM executives plan on raising more money to help both causes and raising awareness within the D219 community. Fundraising and spreading awareness got its official start on August 24-25 at Skokie’s annual Backlot Bash. DM executives sold Rustic Falls t-shirts and sponsored a dunk tank, with a number of Niles North and Niles West teachers volunteering to make a splash for charity.

This year’s Dance Marathon will be held on May 17, 2013 at Niles West.

For more information on CROSO, visit dm219.org and/or http://www.croso.org/.