Pool House Progress

Pool House Progress
On February 3, 2012 Niles North Swimming proved admirable by defeating Maine West in their final home meet. It was in fact the final meet  in this pool.
I know what you’re thinking. The new pool hasn’t even begun to be constructed yet. In fact all it is right now is that large pile of rubble that I’m sure you’ve all seen while driving down the south end of the school on Lawler.
Niles North Aquatics Center
Ground is scheduled to be broken in April. The pool should be finished by 2013.
“The current budget for the new pool right now is not set,” Vickie Beck, North’s Buildings and Grounds director, said. Several parts of the campus will be affected, including the physical education program as well as the obvious reconstruction of the campus. The south west driveway will be blocked off for all vehicles other than Positive Connection buses. Many students like to get dropped off and picked up from the back entrance, and this construction will take away that possibility for a time. After the construction is done the access road, as well as the dead end on the south side of the building will be pushed over. This was the reason that eminent domain was instituted to purchase the lots in which the drive will eventually reside.
Niles North Aquatics CenterRehab construction will also be done to the old pool, to complement the creation of the new one. During the process of the raising of the new pool house alongside the update to the old one, a number of school programs will be adjusted. The physical education curriculum now faces several complications. Traditionally, freshmen have a swimming unit. However, during construction, the pool will not be accessible. This eliminates the class of 2016’s on-campus chance to learn how to swim, or to improve their swimming skills. This also takes away at least one facet of District 219’s emphasis on fitness. Aside from the swimming unit, the pool will also affect Adventure Ed. But, as Paul Swanson, Niles North Director of Physical Education said, “We always remember that though we may sacrifice a little we will gain much in the new pool.”
The Adventure Ed course does not depend on the pool. They only use it for the kayaking unit. Although it is only a small part of the class, it is still a significant loss. Another is the relocation of the swim team’s practices. The team hopes to be able to practice in West’s pool. They would only be returning the favor since Niles North let them use our gymnastics gym during the construction of their new gymnastics gym.
Niles North Aquatics CenterNorth’s new pool will boast a number of modern features. The old pool dates from 1964, when the school opened. A lot of things seemed to be overlooked when building the pool house. The small uncomfortable bleachers are a big problem. The humid, heavy air is another problem of the current pool. The new pool house will have a high-tech air purification system, creating a more comfortable environment for spectators in the new seats. Instead of the traditional poolside stands the new pool will have a raised balcony style set of bleachers. The observatory will have bigger bleachers to house a larger crowd. The aquatic addition to North’s campus is sure to be a crowd pleaser.