Perfecting the beat: d219 percussion workshop

Niles North percussionists participated in the workshop of a lifetime, with one of the nation’s top percussion educators, Prof. Johnny Lee Lane.

Previously, Lane taught for 28 years as Professor of Music and Director of Percussion at Eastern Illinois University.  Among many accomplishments, Lane was awarded the PAS Lifetime Achievement in Education Award at the 2007 National Percussive Arts Society convention in Columbus, Ohio, and continues to teach young talents throughout the country on behalf of Remo, Inc.

During the two-hour workshop, students from both Niles North and Niles West observed Lane’s technique as he fine- tuned the fundamentals of the snare drum.  He also focused on coordination between the hands and the feet and being able to manage different rhythms at once.

At one point during the session, “He demonstrated by playing four different rhythms and then at the same time reciting the beginning of the constitution,” junior Daniel Sahyouni said.

After two hours, the percussionists came out of the workshop feeling more confident about their technique.

“It was really cool to get a different style of teaching from someone so experienced.  I think everyone learned a lot about how to effectively practice and not just mindlessly play,” Sahyouni said

Equipped with the tips and techniques learned through Lane’s workshop, there is no doubt the percussionists will be ready to play their next event.