Coming Together in Skokie 2012

Coming Together in Skokie 2012

This year’s Coming Together in Skokie program features the Assyrian culture. The six-week series of programs began on Jan. 29. Skokie members of the Assyrian community will present a number of cultural and art exhibits showcasing  their culture.

Coming Together in Skokie is a yearly celebration that promotes knowledge and acceptance of different cultures in the community. Organizations taking part in this year’s program include the Assyrian National Council of Illinois, the Assyrian Universal Alliance Foundation and many Assyrian students from both Niles North and Niles West.

Coming Together in Skokie began in 2010. It featured Skokie’s Indian-Asian community. The event included book readings and a speech by Indian-American author Vineeta Vijayaraghavan. 2011’s focused on Skokie’s large Filipino community. Another writer, author Almira Astudillo Giles, came to speak at Niles West.

This year’s program reading list includes books like “Children of War,” edited by Deborah Ellis and “Home is Beyond the Mountains”, by Celia Barker Lottridge, both promoting Assyrian history and culture. As part of Niles North’s Reading Hour series, English Department chair Tony Bradburn read an excerpt from “Children of War” on Feb. 2. On. Feb. 22, the North IRC hosted a series of programs about Assyrian culture including traditional food and dancing.

“We hope that residents and students will read these books, take part in public discussion groups, and enjoy the many activities we are offering”, said Susan Van Dusen, Coming Together in Skokie sponsor and wife of Skokie mayor George Van Dusen. “We acknowledge this wonderful diversity as an opportunity to build knowledge, awareness and appreciation for the many cultures around us.”

View Comments (1)