Ellie Reese Henderson

Ellie Henderson, North Life Editor

Since I was a little kid I always have had a camera around me. As a Freshman I became part of Viking Media which led me to Broadcast Production my Sophomore year. I had taken Broadcast Production both semesters of my Sophomore year and as a Junior In addition to Broadcast I enrolled in News Production. Being involved with North Star News the past year and a half has grown me as an individual. Entering my first year with North Star I was only familiar with iMovie, blogspot and filming on a Canon VIXIA HF or my father’s Nikon camera. Since then I have learned how to use Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, filming on DSLR Camera, and using WordPress. Being apart of NSN has shaped me into the person I am today and prepared with the skill sets needed for the future. My main focus piece this semester was the World Cancer Day 2019 Video and Story. 

I think that this piece has been one of my best pieces of work this semester because I got to use new editing techniques and skills in the media package and had the chance to work and improve on my writing skills. I hope to use these skills that I have learned the past year and a half to help my future self apply to college after finishing my general education classes at OCC and hoping to get a job in journalism, broadcasting or media entertainment. 

Artifact One 

Artifact Two

North goes purple to support World Cancer Day

Cancer. It is not just one word but a disease that has affected over One Million peoples lives in 2018 alone according to cancer.org. One out of three people in the United States will have cancer during their lifetime. Monday, Feb. 4, 2019 is World Cancer Day.

Cancer is not just one disease. According to www.uicc.org, World Cancer Day is the one singular initiative under which the entire world can unite together in the fight against the global cancer epidemic. The objective of World Cancer Day is to save preventable deaths by helping raise awareness and education about cancer and how to take action.

More than just a celebration, World Cancer Day is an international day on Feb. 4 on which we have the opportunity to raise awareness of cancer and inform people about treatment and prevention.

Everyone has their own unique reasons to participate in World Cancer Day and reflect upon the hard fought journey of those who have heard the words “you have cancer” have faced. Whether that be parent, spouse, Child, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, cousin, or friend.

On Friday, Feb. 1, 2019 at 7 p.m. in the Niles North Main Gym we will be coming to together to raise awareness for World Cancer Day. In the Main Gym the Boys Varsity Basketball teams of Niles North Vikings and Evanston Wildkits will take the court. This matchup will be a Purple Out to celebrate, remember, and fight back those affected by cancer.

Artifact Three

Join the fight, one step at a time

Cancer. One in every three people in the United States are diagnosed with cancer every year, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).

Relay For Life (RFL) is the signature event and most successful fundraiser organized by the American Cancer Society. The benefits of Relay for Life include amassing funds for cancer research and uniting the community to fight this disease.

District 219 Relay for Life brings the communities of Skokie, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles together (RFL SLMGN). Everyone that is a part of RFL is all here for the same reason: cancer and to put it to an end. Niles North and West Relay For Life Club works closely together throughout the year preparing for the event held this year on May 24, 2019.

D219 Relay For Life works hard all year to produce a fun and memorable event to fight cancer and support the journeys that cancer patients and caregivers face.

“During our Relay For Life event we celebrate, remember and fight back. Our event is held at the end of May from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Niles North High School,” Sarah Rupani said.

“Not only is Relay For Life a club at Niles North, it is an event at the end of the year. As a way to celebrate a year of fighting cancer and fundraising, we come together for performances, food, games, contests, and, most importantly, a walk. We walk to show cancer that we will keep the fight moving. Really, most of us don’t run…but you can if you want to” Gary Chu said.

Leading up to the event in May, RFL holds many fundraiser throughout the year. On October 19, Relay For Life sold pink long sleeve shirts to support breast cancer awareness month. These shirts were sold during lunch periods and purchased by students and staff to wear on Friday nights game against Evanston Township High School.

Another fundraiser RFL holds is “Growvember” also known as No Shave November. This event entails staff growing out their facial hair throughout the month of November and at the end of the month students and staff vote on their favorite.

Before the event in May,  RFL holds there student verses staff dodgeball game. This is one of RFL biggest fundraisers of the year. This past year The Harvard Dropouts team had won and broke the staffs three year winning streak.

Relay For Life meets on Mondays after school in room 2070. The meetings are lead by juniors Ellie Henderson and Annena Joesph this years club presidents and supervised by Gary Chu.

Artifact Four

Viking Media gets in focus as winter season approaches

As Niles North High School dashes into the winter sports season, Viking Media gears up to take on the forthcoming challenges of live production.

Viking Media began six years ago and was known then as Audio Visual Club (AV Club). Niles North was one of the first high schools in the area to be able to live stream and produce sporting events. Throughout the years of production Viking Media has had growth, improvements, and new technology to deliver a professional live stream.

Since October 2012, Viking Media has streamed over 275 events and had over 200k views.

“Viking Media is a growing club with a lot of potential” Jeff Garcia, junior, said.

According to Robert Henderson, Viking Media live streams over 40 sporting events throughout the school year. Three years ago Viking Media had over 40k people watching for the sectional swimming stream.

In Viking Media you learn how to announce, direct, film and produce sporting events that appear live on Youtube. Viking Media started live streaming on High School Cube from October 2012 to March 2018 and than Viking Media created a Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/nnvikingmedia which now is used as its prime distribution.

On March 2, 2018 they uploaded their first Youtube video which featured John Liss from WBBM Radio, Rob Johnson and Irika Sargent from CBS News Chicago congratulating Niles North Video Media on 250 live streams. Since their first upload Viking Media has almost 200 subscribers and over 8,000 views.

“Viking Media has had many great accomplishments and it’s a very fun and hand-on club,” Ethan Umana said.

Viking Media meets on Fridays after school at 3:30 p.m. in room 1015 (AAL Help Desk). Viking Media is sponsored by Robert Henderson. You are more than welcome to stop by room 1015 throughout the day during your free periods to find out more information or to talk to Henderson.

“We have over 50 students who learn how to direct, write, camera and announce for these games and are very excited for what the future holds and be the best that we can be” Robert Henderson said.

Artifact Five

Novoselsky retells Viking experience on and off field

On Sept.13, 2018 former Niles North student athlete, Brent Novoselsky, came to the pregame team dinner to motivate, inspire, and voice his experiences to the boys JV and Varsity football teams.

Brent Novoselsky graduated Niles North High School (NNHS) with the class of 1984. Not only a former student athlete, Novoselsky was a former professional tight end in the National Football League.

Novoselsky grew up in Skokie, Illinois and living in a suburb of Chicago he regularly attended Chicago Bears games. A childhood dream of his was for one day to play for the Bears. In 1988, shortly after graduation Novoselsky signed as a free agent to the Chicago Bears.

In 1989, after the first game of the season, the Minnesota Vikings picked up Brent Novoselsky. “My most defining moment in the NFL was my first year with the Minnesota Vikings,” Novoselsky said.

Novoselsky goal as a student was to get the best education he could get and to be the best person possible. During his high school years he earned all-conference honors in both football and baseball.

Brent Novoselsky not only cared about his passion in sports, school and academics played a big role. Novoselsky attended University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business where he continued his education knowing football wouldn’t last forever.

With the frequent thought of knowing football wouldn’t last forever came sooner than later in his career. In November 1994, Novoselsky sustained a career ending neck and shoulder injury.

It was a second quarter kick off and Novoselsky was running down the field when his opponent’s knee crashed into him

Following Brent Novoselsky’s inspirational talk to the boys JV and Varsity football teams, Viking Media was able to capture an exclusive interview with him. To view this interview check you the link below.